cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NOJAPower
Level 2

Launch custom uninstallation UIs when uninstall form Add/Remove Program

We have got special uninstallation procedure in our setup and it launches some special dialog boxes to get user inputs before uninstall. In that way the uninstallation happens according to the user input.

But the problem is, that special uninstallation procedure does not launch/execute if you uninstall it by using "Add/Remove Programs". Is there any way to launch the application specific uninstallation though "Add/Remove Programs"

I have tried UninstallString with /qf switch, still no luck
Eg: MsiExec.exe /X{xxxxxxxx} /L*v C:\Uninstallation.Log /qf

Is it possible to launch my custom unistallation procedure through Add/Remove Programs? :confused:

Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Barbara
Level 7

When you remove the product with ARP the installer goes directly to the execute sequence, this means, no dialogs can be displayed. One solution to do this, is to fake the uninstallation string written in the registry key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Userdata\S-1-5-18\\-> UninstallString (if an Administrator has installed the product)

This uninstall string contains the action which is start when you remove the product with ARP, normaly it contains MSIExec.exe /x.
You must enter a different action, e.g. msiexec.exe /i msifile PROPERTY="PROPERTY". The setup starts with the user sequence, with the given property you detect, that the setup is started from ARP and you must show or hide the dialogs according to this property.
A lot of work to do, but it can work.

Barbara
0 Kudos