cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jas
Level 3

LE 2010 Keeps Crashing

When i make a new InstallShield projekt and presses on one of the child nodes then Visual studio 2010 crasches.
I have downloaded the new IsLimPkg.dll but Vs keeps crashing.

system info:
windows 7 Professionel 64bit
Visual studio 2010 Professionel

from the event log on windows:
Faulting application name: devenv.exe, version: 10.0.30319.1, time stamp: 0x4ba1fab3
Faulting module name: IsLimPkg.dll, version: 16.0.0.585, time stamp: 0x4be83e20
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00029e64
Faulting process id: 0x1b44
Faulting application start time: 0x01cb379889b44d52
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield\2010LE\System\IsLimPkg.dll
Report Id: d0a03d0b-a38b-11df-9116-002186fa171c

---------------

Any idea?

-Jacob
0 Kudos
(17) Replies
Lenwin
Level 10

Hi,

Could you kindly let us know the exact steps you followed which resulted in Visual Studio crashing.
Kindly provide us a small sample project (.isl + .sln file) which replicates the crashing behavior so that we can investigate further.

Thanks,
Lenwin
0 Kudos
jas
Level 3

Ahh the files should be attached now... I hope you can help
0 Kudos
Lenwin
Level 10

Hi Jacob,

Thank you for providing us the screen shots.

Could you kindly let me know if you are facing the crashing issue with every new InstallShield Limited edition project created or with only a specific project?

Could you also try the following hotfix and let me know if you still encounter the crashing issue.

http://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?t=194126

Thanks,
Lenwin
0 Kudos
jas
Level 3

unfortunately the hotfix diden't solve the problem.

And Visual studio crashes with every new InstallShield created.

Hope you can solve the problem, and thanks for your time.
0 Kudos
Lenwin
Level 10

Hi Jacob,

Could you kindly let us know if you are facing the crashing issue from the day you started using the InstallShield Limited edition project ?

Could you kindly uninstall the InstallShield limited edition product and reinstall it again. After reinstalling could you kindly check if you are facing the same crashing issue.

If you are still facing the crashing issue then could you kindly provide us a sample project which replicates the crashing behavior. Kindly provide us all the contents of the project. You may find this under “visual studio 2010\Projects”.

Thanks,
Lenwin
0 Kudos
dg
Level 3

Hi, I have the same problem. VS2010 keeps crashing everytime I open my saved project. I followed the instructions of the hotfix but this didn't resolve this issue.
- If I start a blank new setup project everything is fine.
- If I add a setup project to an existing project everything is fine and I can work but when opening again the project VS crashes on startup when the last open file was not a file from the setup project but from the developed app. If the last open file of the solution was the setup project VS starts and loads the project fine, but when I try to open a c++ or a c# file (depending on the project) or even a app.config or any file related to the developed application it crashes.

One workaround for me was to load the solution and unload the setup project so I could work on the actual application. After finish I reload the setup project to the solution and compile the setup.exe. This is not perfect but it does the job.
Sadly I have a solution where the actual cs file was the latest file opened so VS now crashes on startup.

I also deinstalled ISLE and reinstalled but this didn't fix the problem. I tried the hotfix also no fix for the problem.
Are there any other solutions we could try out?

Thanks in regard for your assistance
0 Kudos
Lenwin
Level 10

Hi,

Could you kindly provide us a sample project which replicates the crashing behavior so that we can investigate further?

Kindly provide us all the contents of the sample project found under “Visual Studio 2010\Projects”.

Also could you kindly provide us the detailed steps which resulted in a crash so that we can replicate the issue at our end.

Thanks,
Lenwin
0 Kudos
dg
Level 3

Hi I attached the project with all project files in fxcGui.zip.
here is a link to a video showing the crash and showing how to avoid it by unloading the setup project from the solution.
http://www.dg-infotec.de/Files/crash.zip
The video shows you also that the solution loads correct if I unload the setup project. The problem sadly only occurs when the setup project is also loaded with vs2010
0 Kudos
Lenwin
Level 10

Hi,

Thank you for providing the project file. I am currently looking into your project and would get back to you as soon as I have more information.

Thanks,
Lenwin
0 Kudos
Lenwin
Level 10

Hi,

I was unable to replicate the crashing issue with the sample project which you had provided.

In order to troubleshoot further could you kindly try creating a new project and check if you encounter the same crashing issue.

Could you also check if you encounter the same crashing issue on any other machine.

Thanks,
Lenwin
0 Kudos
dg
Level 3

Hi and thanks for your reply. I created a couple of testprojects and could not reproduce the crash. Funny that after that I opened a bigger existing project and added setup, build the setup, saved the project and closed it. After reopening it same crash. This time it was a c++ application.
I use the AnkhSVN addon and thought it would be a good idead to disable it - you never now. But that was not the case. I thik I will work now with the complicated procedure described at first. Sadly I have no chance to test it on other machines.
Thanks again for your reply, I will visit this forum in future to see if others with the same problem have a workaround or fix for that.
0 Kudos
Mike_Marino
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

We have another fix to try that may correct this issue. Attached is new version of the file called IsLimPkg.dll.

Can you replace your version of this file (backup your original version), with the one attached to this thread and let me know if it helps?

Thanks,
Mike
0 Kudos
dg
Level 3

I tried the file you posted but sadly the same crash as described below.
0 Kudos
Mike_Marino
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

If you are running Win 7 or Vista can you try to launch Visual Studio 2010 as an administrator, and open the solution and see if the issue persists?

Thanks,
Mike
0 Kudos
dg
Level 3

I run it as Administrator but still crashes with about half of the solutions containing installshield projects.
0 Kudos
Mike_Marino
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

Is it consistently failing with one particular solution? If so, would it be possible for me to get the failing solution to look at on my end?

You can email me directly at:

mmarino@flexerasoftware.com

Thanks,
Mike
0 Kudos
dg
Level 3

Thank you very much sir. I mailed the project to your adress. It's not only this project but also other projects either c# or c++ applications. Thank you very much for your help
0 Kudos