cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sureshkottakki
Level 6

JS files not getting upgraded which are Dynamically linked using IS2015

Hi,

We have created Installscript MSI project and we added .js files using Dynamic file Linking .
We installed the setup (1.0.0.0) in one of our system, after installation we manually change one .js file(say Detailsone.js file) in installed directory. Now we created setup 1.2.0.0 and upgraded the latest setup(1.2.0.0)in that machine, we can notice that Detailsone.js file is not getting replaced/overwritten by the latest Detailsone.js file .

Can you please suggest why it is not getting replaced on upgrade when we manually change the .js file ?

Thanks in advance
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
ch_eng
Level 7

sureshkottakki,

I don't know if there is a correct way to do it using InstallScript MSI, but we have never gotten a web application to upgrade properly using minor upgrades with that project type. We had to convert all of ours to InstallScript Only projects where you can use the Component setting "Overwrite" and set it to "Always".

HTH
0 Kudos
sureshkottakki
Level 6

But we are supposed to use Installscript MSI project only, any suggestions ?
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

Somehow InstallShield must be recognizing that it did not put that file there, so it is not removing/replacing it. If that file is commonly replaced you could try using a custom action to delete that file early in your upgrade process... then the installer will add the new file.
0 Kudos
sureshkottakki
Level 6

Hi rguggisberg,
Thanks for the suggestion , I created the Custom action which will call the .dll function to delete the files in the folder, I am able to delete the files through that custom action but it is not keeping any files in the particular folder after successful upgrade. Can u please suggest after which sequence I should call this custom action?
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

I would try right after RemoveFiles in the 'Install Execute' sequence.
You probably want to use 'Deferred Execution in System Context'.
If you continue to have trouble put MessageBoxes at the start and end of your CA. Then you can look to verify that only the files you expect are in the folder when you enter the CA; that the files are gone as expected when the CA finishes; and that the new files are populated after that.
0 Kudos