cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vishalo
Level 3

Issue with 2019 installshield professional

Hi,

We have recently purchased installshield 2019 professional, earlier we had installshield 2016 professional which expired recently in April.

When we opened one of our existing project in 2019 it worked fine but the msp that was build works differently when build on installshield 2019.

Basically when we run the msp  using our c# project using CreateProcess” we use WaitForSingleObject so that the process waits till msp installation has finished this worked fine in 2016 installshield  but does not work in 2019 installshield .

Do I need to set some specific attribute or flag in 2019 installshield to make this work.

Can you please help as this is a bit urgent and we have a planned patch going out.

Regards

Vishal

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
banna_k
Revenera
Revenera

Hi @vishalo,

See whether you are able to install the patch (msp) manually by double clicking on the file in that particular machine where you are trying to execute using "CreateProcess", if it is not you can generate the verbose log and see what error it is caused to stop the installation.

0 Kudos

When I run the msp or set.exe on its own it works, even createprocess is able to run the setup file but the issue is when I run the setup using createprocess I am using WaitForSingleObject function so that my process continues only when setup has completed but my code carries on further execution and does not wait for the setup to complete. this was working fine with installshield 2016.
Also the WaitForSingleObject works for normal setp and msi in 2019 its only an issue for .msp and setup file created for patch.
Regards
Vishal
0 Kudos

If the msp or setup.exe or createprocess able to execute and install the patch, looks like it is not a problem with the Installshield 2019. 

You can re-look how you are waiting using WaitForSingleObject  and its parameters, whether you are getting valid process handle, and see the time out parameters. 

0 Kudos