cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fredliu
Level 5

Issue of upgrade from 64bit to 32bit

Hi all,

I have two installers (32bit installer and 64bit installer), firstly, I install my 64bit installer in xp 64bit machine, everything is OK(all files are installed in program file folder), after I upgrade to 32bit by 32bit installer(yes, we have this request), everything also is OK(all 32bit files are installed in program file(x86) folder) except all 64bit files donot remove, i check the log file, i find when upgrade, 32bit installer use program file(x86) directory instead of program file directory, so donot remove 64bit files, i want to know how this happen when upgrade from 64bit to 32bit?

In additional, i can remove 64bit all files when uninstall by 64bit installer.My project is basic msi

Any suggestions is welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
fredliu
Level 5

There is some additional.
I make a major upgrade from 64bit to 32bit, in other word, when upgrade from 64bit to 32bit, i completely uninstall 64bit then install 32bit, so when upgrade to 32bit , all files of 64bit should be remove, but now when upgrade ,32bit installer donot remove 64bit files,because when 32bit installer use program file(86) instead of program file when uninstall 64bit.

Anyboy can help me out of this issue?
Thanks
0 Kudos
ganesh2you
Level 5

Hi ,

Can u give me a some more brief explaination,

Did you specified ur installation path explicitly ?
did u specify with any script file ?

Kindly revet me with this answer... if I possible to help u out I ill do it .. bcoz I am using both 32 & 64 I am not getting any pbm ...
0 Kudos
rrinblue22
Level 9

You can consider a custom action to remove your 64 bit while installing the 32 bit setup.

Major Upgrade manual uninstall:

1) Add a major upgrade item in the Upgrades view that references the old installation's Upgrade Code.
2) On the Advanced tab on the major upgrade item settings, set the Detect Only setting to Yes. Make a note of the Detect Property name.
3) Add a new EXE->Path referencing a directory action in the Custom Actions view. Name the custom action as needed.
4) In the Working Directory field in the custom action, select TempFolder or SystemFolder from the drop-down box.
5) In the Filename and Command line field, insert the below command line parameter with your old product code.

msiexec /qn /x {Old Product Code}
6) Sequence the custom action at any point after CostFinalize in the Install UI Sequence.
7) In the Install UI Condition field, enter a condition such as the following (using the Detect Property as noted in step 2 above):
Not Installed AND DETECT_PROPERTY_NAME
8) Build and test the project.
0 Kudos
fredliu
Level 5

ganesh2you wrote:
Hi ,

Can u give me a some more brief explaination,

Did you specified ur installation path explicitly ?
did u specify with any script file ?

Kindly revet me with this answer... if I possible to help u out I ill do it .. bcoz I am using both 32 & 64 I am not getting any pbm ...

Thanks your replay.Yes,I specified installation path explicitly.32bit's installation is programfile(xx86) and 64bit's installation is progamfile
what you meaning about specify with any script file, is it relate with this issue? I want to know why 32bit installer use programfile(x86) remove 64bit installation file?
Thanks
0 Kudos