Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shivasdp
Level 2

Issue during Uninstallation from ARP

Hello All,
I'm new to Installshield.
For our product we have created basic MSI installer using InstallShield 2012.
and for starting the installation we use setup.exe (custom bootstrap program with manifest having elevated privilege)

We are able to install the product using a domain admin user having local admin privilege. But facing issues while uninstalling the product from ARP. During uninstallation installer is rolling back.

Uninstall works fine when we remove the product by running setup.exe.

Below is the log file snippet
--------------------
I) Uninstallation log showing error when product uninstalled from ARP:

MSI (s) (74:BC) [02:06:41:027]: Executing op: ServiceControl(,,Action=1,Wait=0,)
StartServices: Service:
Info 1920.Service () failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.
Action ended 2:07:11: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.
--------------------
II) Uninstallation log when the product is uninstalled by running setup.exe

Action 5:17:34: InstallFiles. Copying new files
Action 5:17:34: StartServices. Starting services
StartServices: Service: SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS)
Action 5:17:34: PublishProduct. Publishing product information
Action 5:17:34: InstallFinalize.
Action 5:17:38: RollbackCleanup. Removing backup files
--------------------

Can any one help me to understand why the installer is not getting service name when product is removed using ARP.
Also let me know the better solution for handling elevated privilege for uninstallation.

Regards,
shivasdp
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Cygnusx1
Level 8

Are you starting a service on uninstall?
0 Kudos
Barbara
Level 7

When you start the software removal via the setup.exe, the installation goes through the user sequence and then through the execute sequence. When you start the removal with ARP the setup goes directly to the execute sequence. So I would check the user sequence, if something happens there which should also be done in the execute sequence.

Barbara
0 Kudos
shivasdp
Level 2

Thanks Barbara & Cygnusx1 for your inputs.

Issue is now resolved. During UI sequence one install property "SQLINSTANCENAME" was getting set and it was being used for starting the service during uninstallation.

Now moved the SQLINSTANCENAME property to get set in execute sequence and now uninstallation is working fine from ARP.

🙂

Regards,
shivasdp
0 Kudos