cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brian_Savidge
Level 3

Is there any way to log what happens on a self repair?

I've got an application that when I double click on the shortcut to run the application, Installshield jumps in and does something before the application loads.

Is there any way to log what actually happens or finding out what needs correcting?

Thanks
Brian
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
thepeter
Level 7

You can enable Windows Installer Logging on the machine and then fish for the log created on repair. Cheers!
0 Kudos
Brian_Savidge
Level 3

Thanks for the help - I've managed to generate the log file and locate it (file attached).

As far as I can tell its indicated that a reinstall was requested, but I can't see any reason for the reinstall request.

Do you know why an reinstall would be automatically requested, or where there is an article about it.

Thanks
Brian
0 Kudos
thepeter
Level 7

From the log I can see that a component in the feature "Clue2Enterprise" requested the repair. You need to check the event viewer also: you might find that a componet having GUID {} is broken or missing. If that's the case, ideintify that component be looking in the registry or by looking for the GUID in your project file.
0 Kudos
Brian_Savidge
Level 3

Superb - I've found my problem, well, two actually.

1. A file that didn't strictly need to be included had some problem with it - so deleted that.

2. One of my components (Clue2.exe) was using Extract COM at Build, and also set values in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Some of the keys where almost certinally duplicated.

Thanks for all the help
Brian
0 Kudos
thepeter
Level 7

Glad I could help.
Good luck!
0 Kudos