cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rittjc
Level 4

Is there a "good" concepts tutorial?

I don't have time to read and search through the entire help system to find out if you explain things like what is the difference between {SOME_NAME} [SOME_NAME] and SOME_NAME and where these things can be used or what is the limitations of where they can be used and how.

These are the things most users care about and they pay an outrageous $4300+ per year (the most expensive vertical package on the market today?) for a package that effectively just wraps the MSI that seems every bit as convoluted and esoteric as the using the MSI directly. The idea was supposed to be that this incredibly expensive package would in some way save me time.

But, if I have to go learn every technology concept just to use the Wizards, because the Help system is only readable by those users that are quasi-Experts on using InstallShield system to even understand terms like DIM and what they are and why it DIM is used rather than a name of what the thing is, then what does IS bring to the party? What does a user get for $4300 dollars?

Is there a tutorial of any kind for this money that explains the concepts to users? :mad: :mad: :mad:

You think I am mad, you should see my boss who had to justify spending $4300 on a software package. Can't we at least get something for our money?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Sairen
Level 7

Sorry you're frustrated. I remember being there. The learning curve really is steep. Now I will say, I usually find the help documentation to be good once you know what you're looking for, however...as you point out, if you don't know what you're looking for, the very basic help documentation is about as useful as
"to remove a file, highlight the file and click the 'remove' button" 😉

I think InstallShield does add a lot in terms of value to my MSI-land experience. A few examples
- setup.exe (while at times a cryptic black box that I'd love to be able to work into) handles the minor updates that we rely on. It also helps me chain MSIs and use setup prereqs to distribute third party software along with ours. Can't do that with bare bones MSI.
- XML File Changes: It has its problems (I think I have two outstanding issues in with IS) and it's hard as hell to learn, but once you do, it can be pretty powerful, and it's also only supported using IS value-added stuff.
- InstallScript! Oh, lovely, lovely, powerful InstallScript...where would I be without you?
- Little things like INI changes and Setup view are just easier to work with than going into the tables.

I'm sure there are many more, but I don't feel like sitting here forever thinking of them. The best advice I can give you at this stage of your learning is...
1) If you and your company can afford it, go to training. That'll cover the basics enough that you'll know the right questions to ask of help and of the forum.
2) Speaking of the forum, come here and come here often. Search for the problems you're having...you're probably not the first. And if you don't find it, ask. It's a very active community.
3) Try to learn by example than by tutorial. {SOME_NAME}, you'll notice for example, is used in the string tables, while [SOME_NAME] is used in custom actions. You can get sample projects online or, I think, in the installation folder for IS.

Good luck, best wishes.
0 Kudos