cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sukrit
Level 3

Is it OK to change the product name in Differential Build(Update Release)

Does it have any other impacts on Installation.
Please advise.

Thanks in Advance
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
TsungH
Level 12

When you said "update release," are you talking about major or minor upgrade? If it's a major upgrade, then it should be fine.
If it's minor upgrade, please note that InstallShield by default, if I am not mistaken, use the value of ProductName property for the name of MSI file. This behavior will violate the rule, see Changing the Product Code. If name of MSI is not tied to the value of ProductName property and stays unchanged, then it should be fine.
0 Kudos
sukrit
Level 3

TsungH wrote:
When you said "update release," are you talking about major or minor upgrade? If it's a major upgrade, then it should be fine.
If it's minor upgrade, please note that InstallShield by default, if I am not mistaken, use the value of ProductName property for the name of MSI file. This behavior will violate the rule, see Changing the Product Code. If name of MSI is not tied to the value of ProductName property and stays unchanged, then it should be fine.

Hi Tsung,

Thanks for the reply.

Actually it is an InstallScript project not an MSI. In installscript I guess there is no such tying up.

Can I proceed if there is no such tying up in Installscript, to change the Product Name.

Please advise.
[SIZE=1]
Tanjin Alma
-----------------------------------------
A mystery less stated is more Interesting
.[/SIZE]
0 Kudos
sukrit
Level 3

Tks 4 reply.

Actually it is not a MSI Project it is InstallScript Project.

I guess there is no such tying up in InstallScript. If there is no such tying up then will it be fine to change the product name.

--
0 Kudos