cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
phurwitz
Level 2

Integrating with Team Foundation Server?

I have Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 installed on my machine, connecting to Team Foundation Server on another machine. I have Installshield 2009 Professional installed on my machine and I would like to use TFS as my source control. In the options window all of the options on the Source Control tab are greyed out.

How do I get Installshield to connect to my TFS? Is it possible?

Thanks
Paul
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

While InstallShield has really nice MSBUILD support ( Teambuild with InstallShield rocks ), InstallShield's SCC integration is buggy and sucks.

What I suggest is create the .sln and .isproj files to get the msbuild integration but don't use SCC integration. Use Team Explorer to check the ISM out and then switch over to windows explorer ( Team Explorer 2008 SP1 makes it easy with a hyperlink to your workspace directory ) and open the ISM up in InstallShield directly. When done switch back to team explorer and check the file in then kick off your build definition.

BTW, you'll find IS/TFS related content on my blog.
0 Kudos
mcal79
Level 2

Sorry to revive an old thread but I'm curious if your suggestion still holds true today with the newest versions of Installshield and TFS?
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

I haven't tried it recently but I doubt it's any better knowing InstallShield's track record for fixing bugs.
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

I use VisualStudio 2008 and InstallShield 2009 and continue using Source Control Explorer to perform checkin/checkout operations for my .ism files.

I've gotten used to it and works quite well.

Regards,
Juan Carlos
0 Kudos