cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
z3jrldk
Level 3

Installshield requires Windows Installser Service 4.5 ??

Hi everybody

We just installed InstallShield 2013. Now we noticed that the MSI files we are installing requires Windows Installer 4.5. We found out because one of our customers still runs Windows XP.
Is there a way of getting around that problem? We can’t just tell our customer to install Windows Installer service 4.5.

Regard and thanks,

Jørn Laursen.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Could you say a little more about your scenario? InstallShield still supports the creation of MSI files that do not require MSI 4.5, so it's unclear exactly where the problem is rooted. The one thing that comes to mind is that (if you're using them) Suite projects using transactions will require MSI 4.5 on the end-user's machine; outside transactions and outside Suites this requirement should only exist if you specify a high Schema value.
0 Kudos
z3jrldk
Level 3

Hi,

Ok the scenario is:

I am creating a package on a Windows 7 32 bit, and compiling it with Installshield 2013

I am trying to install this packages on a machine with Windows Installer 3.0, and im getting a error. Here is my problem. I hope this makes sence,

🙂

Regards Jørn
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Sorry, there's still too little detail for me to help. From what you describe, it could be anything from the code of a custom action you have written refusing to run on XP or with too low a version of MSI, to a setting you didn't mention. You also didn't clarify whether installing Windows Installer 4.5 resolves this, or why the customer cannot install it. In order for anyone to have a fighting chance of figuring this out, they would need to know what the error code and message, preferably as extracted from a verbose windows installer log (if one is created).
0 Kudos