The case portal access issue has been resolved. Please see the latest update here.
CGCampbell
Flexera beginner

Installshield 2018 install silent

Is there anyway to install Installshield 2018 in silent mode? i am not trying to make an installer i am trying to install the software silently.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

CGCampbell wrote:
Is there anyway to install Installshield 2018 in silent mode? i am not trying to make an installer i am trying to install the software silently.

Hi,

You can use setup.exe /silent to install it silently.Since it is suite setup you can use all the parameters related suite project mentioned here:
https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/installshield19helplib/helplibrary/SteSetupexeParam.htm

Thanks,
Jenifer

0 Kudos
CGCampbell
Flexera beginner

Jenifer wrote:
Hi,

You can use setup.exe /silent to install it silently.Since it is suite setup you can use all the parameters related suite project mentioned here:
https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/installshield19helplib/helplibrary/SteSetupexeParam.htm

Thanks,
Jenifer

Thanks now need to figure out if i can install this on Windows Server Core. With regular windows server 2016 i can install in silent mode just fine but with Server core it appears to hang up and not sure why.
0 Kudos
CGCampbell
Flexera beginner

CGCampbell wrote:
Thanks now need to figure out if i can install this on Windows Server Core. With regular windows server 2016 i can install in silent mode just fine but with Server core it appears to hang up and not sure why.

Well was able to install installshield 2018 SAB on a docker container but it fails to build any installers with. Dont think its possible to put installshield inside a docker container sigh

InstallShield (R)
Release Builder
Copyright (c) 2018 Flexera.

All Rights Reserved.

Build started at Feb 13 2019 12:12 AM
Building Release: Release

Created release folders
InstallShield Script Compiler
Version 24.0.0.464
Copyright (c) 2018 Flexera. All Rights Reserved.

Compiling...
Setup.Rul
Linking...
Setup.inx - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)
Checking string table references...
Calculating size of cabinet files...
ISDEV : error -7041: Could not create instance of CABEngine. "CABEngine component might not be installed or registered
properly. You may need to reinstall InstallShield."
Release - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
Log file has been created:

Build finished at Feb 13 2019 12:12 AM
0 Kudos
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

CGCampbell wrote:
Well was able to install installshield 2018 SAB on a docker container but it fails to build any installers with. Dont think its possible to put installshield inside a docker container sigh

InstallShield (R)
Release Builder
Copyright (c) 2018 Flexera.

All Rights Reserved.

Build started at Feb 13 2019 12:12 AM
Building Release: Release

Created release folders
InstallShield Script Compiler
Version 24.0.0.464
Copyright (c) 2018 Flexera. All Rights Reserved.

Compiling...
Setup.Rul
Linking...
Setup.inx - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)
Checking string table references...
Calculating size of cabinet files...
ISDEV : error -7041: Could not create instance of CABEngine. "CABEngine component might not be installed or registered
properly. You may need to reinstall InstallShield."
Release - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
Log file has been created:

Build finished at Feb 13 2019 12:12 AM

Hi,

Possible cause would be failure instantiation of MediaBuild40.dll,

-can you try registering C:\InstallShield\2019\System\MediaBuild40.dll on the docker instance?
-Give it a try for basic MSI project building also,to get to know root-cause.

Thanks,
Jenifer
0 Kudos
CGCampbell
Flexera beginner

Jenifer wrote:
Hi,

Possible cause would be failure instantiation of MediaBuild40.dll,

-can you try registering C:\InstallShield\2019\System\MediaBuild40.dll on the docker instance?
-Give it a try for basic MSI project building also,to get to know root-cause.

Thanks,
Jenifer

So i register the dll, and built a basic msi and it appears to work but unable to build a installscript project.
0 Kudos
CGCampbell
Flexera beginner

CGCampbell wrote:
So i register the dll, and built a basic msi and it appears to work but unable to build a installscript project.

After more testing, i can build msi install script project just not a pure installscript project. i did try CD-ROM option for compressing files which does not compress but it still fails with the same error.
0 Kudos
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

CGCampbell wrote:
After more testing, i can build msi install script project just not a pure installscript project. i did try CD-ROM option for compressing files which does not compress but it still fails with the same error.

Hi,

Can you give me docket container details like which platform & other details?

Thanks,
Jenifer
0 Kudos
CGCampbell
Flexera beginner

Jenifer wrote:
Hi,

Can you give me docket container details like which platform & other details?

Thanks,
Jenifer

This is my docker file

FROM microsoft/dotnet-framework:4.7.1
ADD install c:/install
RUN powershell -Command C:\install\InstallShield2018SP1StandaloneBuild.exe /S /debuglog /v/qn; get-process; Start-Sleep 360; get-process
RUN powershell -Command Copy-Item "C:\install\server.ini" -Destination 'C:\Program Files (x86)\installShield\2018 SAB\System'
RUN powershell -Command Copy-Item "C:\install\InstallShieldSkins\*" -Destination 'C:\Program Files (x86)\installShield\2018 SAB\Skins' -Recurse -Force
run powershell -Command Remove-Item -path c:\install -recurse

I have also tried using FROM mcr.microsoft.com/windows/servercore as well with same results. The Install folder has the installer, ini files, skins that i copy and replace etc during the process. I also found out to get this to install in docker the host machine needs to have the same installer installed on the machine and the OS needs to match. I am currently using Windows Server 2016 and the images i am using from microsoft should be 2016 as well.
0 Kudos

@CGCampbell , did you get this working? I'm also facing same issue(ISDEV : error -7041: Could not create instance of CABEngine.) with Installshield 2019 SAB in docker container. Please let me know, if this error is resolved.

0 Kudos

Hi @Cmaddena ,

You could get Installshield SAB docker images starting Installshield 2019R3.

https://community.flexera.com/t5/InstallShield-Knowledge-Base/InstallShield-StandAlone-Build-with-Do...

For prior versions,need to do few manual steps like enabling .NET 3.5,installation of vcredist pre-requisites & enabling registry hooks.

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

i did not get this working when i was working on this but this was using Installshield 2018 and older. i can investigate if this will work with Installshield 2020 and can report back my findings. If i can get this to work i can switch our servers to be windows server core to help with performance for our build servers.

0 Kudos

Hi @CGCampbell@Cmaddena 

We do have an issue IOJ-2127869 that is been tracked for InstallScript projects fails to build in Windows Server Core OS (for docker and VM).

ISDEV : error -7041: Could not create instance of CABEngine. "CABEngine component might not be installed or registered properly. You may need to reinstall InstallShield"

For now the workaround is to use a Windows base images if using docker.

Thanks

0 Kudos