Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pdepaulis_sa
Level 2

Installshield 2018 R2 Express - Uninstall versus Maintenance

Hi, 

I'm looking for clarification on this as it relates to Custom Actions:

Custom Actions During Maintenance—Actions that are scheduled during this run-time category are launched during modify mode and repair mode; they are also launched when the product is silently uninstalled.
Custom Actions During Uninstallation—Actions that are scheduled during this run-time category are launched when the product is being uninstalled.

The only Custom Actions during Un-Installation allowed in this Edition at least, are "Before System Changes". 

I'm looking at running Custom Actions After Initialization, like done during Maintenance. 

Any way of invoking the "During Maintenance" Custom Actions during Un-installation?

I guess one option would be to not allow Uninstall, only Maintenance, and do it from there...

Thanks!  Pablo

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
banna_k
Revenera
Revenera

@pdepaulis_sa  :

If I understood your query properly,  you are looking for installation/uninstall condition to restrict your custom action execution during application maintenance/uninstall.

you can check the below KB article for how to put conditions for custom actions to restricts their executions:

https://community.flexera.com/t5/InstallShield-Knowledge/Installation-and-Uninstallation-Conditions/ta-p/4192?advanced=false&collapse_discussion=true&filter=location&location=category:Flexera_Software_Community&q=Custom%20action%20with%20REMOVE=%22ALL%22%20condition&search_type=thread

Custom action conditions can be specified in installexecution sequence against your custom action. 

0 Kudos

Ah... I see @banna_k 

The thing is that I need to learn and understand how to obtain MSI Setup data such as "Installed property" and query. I believe that is via a  Session.Property() call? 

If so is it possible to then access say the "INSTALLED" or "REMOVE" properties, etc.?

I already get the "CustomActionData", "DATABASEDIR", what not, so I presume that would be a similar thing for these other ones?

But yeah this helps... I guess I'm not versed in MSI Installer itself and much of the InstallShield behavior actually is embedded into MSI.

Pablo

0 Kudos