cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bobmcm461
Level 6

Installscript MSI project - How do I log when an Installation Prerequisite Fails.

I have been given a requirement to log if an installation prerequiste fails. I am unaware of a way to do this. Is there a way?

Thanks,
Robert M.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
DLee65
Level 13

Hi Robert.

For prerequisites the logging will depend on the package you are installing. For msi based installers you could include the /l*vC:\Temp\MyInstall.log
For setup.exe based setups you will need to consult the documentation for the company providing the installer. For instance, I do not think there is a way to specify the log location of the .NET installers, but it will create logs in the users %temp% directory.

I do not think there is a way to specify logging ONLY in a failure event. Logging is either on or off.

Any other type of behavior would require you to include your own bootstrapper and control the logging from the bootstrapper.
0 Kudos
bobmcm461
Level 6

Hello DLee,

Thanks for the information. You have confirmed what I have been able to get from the documentation and some support interaction. In my case I have been able to turn on the MSI logging on the general tab, but get the prerequisites logged you have to use the /debuglog command line. Unfortunately, this has a side effect that if you have to reboot during the prerequisites, the installation does not restart upon reboot even though the prq is set to restart after reboot. Looking through the command line parameters I have not found one that will force the reboot.

Thanks again,
Robert M.
0 Kudos