Level 3

Installscript MSI major update ERROR !

Hello everybody,

Issue:
I have an error during a major update.

Introduction:
I use the major

Scenario:
I have an error on my installation (installscript MSI project ) with custom action and installscript function so I have prepared a very simple Installscript MSI project with just a feature and a file installed.

I have tested the installation and uninstallation of the simple project: it works fine.

I have installed the 1.0.0 version and after I have prepared the 1.1.0 version. To fire the major update I have also changed the product code.

I have shaped the update in the upgrade section as:

I leave the default configuration on a major update to uninstall the old version and after install.

When I launch the setup, after clicking the Install button at the end of the installation masks, when it should start the unistallation of the old version I get this error:

and this is the message:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: setup.exe_TestInstallScriptMSI
Application Version: 2.1.7.0
Application Timestamp: 53723d9e
Fault Module Name: ISSetup.dll
Fault Module Version: 21.0.0.289
Fault Module Timestamp: 5372280b
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0002e9f0
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.272.7
Locale ID: 1040
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Closing the error the installation goes on and finalize good.

As result I have the new version installed but the old one is still shown in the Installed Application with out the icon. Trying to uninstall it does not work throwing a message: "1628: Failed to complete the installation", leaving the item in the Installed application form.

Trying to uninstall the 1.1.0 version it works properly.

Which is the error ?
I found in this page that major version are managed by msi and installscript msi. That's why I've choosen it.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

This may be the problem that was logged as IOJ-1663062, which was resolved in Service Pack 1 of InstallShield 2014. For a link to the release notes, as well as details on how to obtain the service pack see the Read Me First sticky post in this forum.
0 Kudos
madand
Level 3

DebbieL wrote:
This may be the problem that was logged as IOJ-1663062, which was resolved in Service Pack 1 of InstallShield 2014. For a link to the release notes, as well as details on how to obtain the service pack see the Read Me First sticky post in this forum.

Installing the sp1 it works!!!

Great !

Thank you so much.
0 Kudos