cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arikshen
Level 2

Installing "Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributables (x86)" on 64bit machines

Our software needs to install "Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributables (x86)".
We need it to be installed even on 64Bit machines. The 64Bit version of this redistributable is not good for us.
For some reason InstallShield does not allow installing the above on 64bit machines.
Is this a bug? is there any way to work around it?
Thankss
Arik
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
GetExp
Level 6

Are you adding the VC++ 2010 redistributable in the prerequisites part of the InstallShield? If that does not work, then you can package the redistributable in the setup and launch it via an exe custom action.
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please let me know how to launch it via custom action exe action. I have packaged it in the set up.

0 Kudos

You can run it as InstallShield setup prerequisite. Make sure below conditions are set\modified as per your requirement. Default conditions are set based on Microsoft target system requirements mentioned on 2010 x86 download page. For example, if you would like to run this prerequisite on any Windows 10 (x86 and x64) machines then you need to add condition "Windows 10 (any)".

image.png

0 Kudos

Can it not be launched with custom action as an exe. The exe file is already present in the set up. Please guide.

0 Kudos

InstallShield prerequisite framework is designed for this purpose. It checks the condition and attempts installation before if your main installation starts. As well skips the installation if the Redistributable is already present on the machine. You just need to add the prerequisite and edit conditions based on your requirement.

Attempting it as part of custom action adds lot of extra work and may not work as expected as Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributables (x86) itself is msi installation and running multiple msi installations at the same time is not permitted (limitation from windows).

0 Kudos

Is it supported by installshield 2012?

0 Kudos

I want to launch VC 2012 and 2013 runtimes

0 Kudos

Thanks for your help. I have added the prerequisite.

0 Kudos