cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dmcgloin1
Level 3

Installing license on AWS EC2

Hi Team,

We are currently having InstallShield license on premise and we are planning to use the same license in AWS. This will be used in build machine, so wanted to check if the same license can be used for AWS?

Another thing is for Jenkins slave, if new EC2 build machine instance launches every-time, is there a way through script(windows Powershell user data script), we can go ahead and "Return License" so that when new EC2 launches we don't use the same machine id?

Please let me know the details for the above. Thank you!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

Hi @dmcgloin,

You can use concurrent licensing server in cloud by which each VM that has Installshield installed on it can get connected to license server.When i say each VM which has standalone build installed on it.

About the question of having script to return license,you can try returning SAB license from end-user portal .But i doubt whether that is possible via script.

Hope it helps,

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

Hi @Jenifer , Thanks much for your reply. Do I need to have concurrent license file to get this setup done or I can set this up using the Standalone Build License as well? Also, Do you have any simpler api calls to implement the "Return License" using automation? Thank you very much in advance!
0 Kudos

Hi @dmcgloin1 ,

Answering to your question:

• "Do I need to have concurrent license file to get this setup done or I can set this up using the Standalone Build License as well?"
    • Setting up concurrent server means installing license server setup based on whichever Installshield version you use.So that machine (Wherever SAB got installed) can communicate to license server using details(IP & port).
    • You can download license server setup from end user portal that you are entitled with.
    • Having separate license file for machine(Called self-hosted licensing) might not work since on spinning the new instance hardware identifiers(like MAC address) might get changed. 
  • "Do you have any simpler api calls to implement the "Return License" using automation?"
    • You might not use api calls directly since there is support like that.But you can use TSConfig.exe /return command in your script,TSConfig.exe you can find inside <InstallShield installed DIR>\<IS Version>\System
    • Running this command will return current relevant product that you are running on.

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos