cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joshstechnij
Pilgrim

Re: Installing a 32 Bit IIS Application to 64 Bit IIS 7

It would be necessary to install a new application pool to apply this setting. InstallShield will not change any settings on existing IIS resources in an effort to ensure that nothing already running on a target machine breaks.
0 Kudos
rasky74
Pilgrim

Does this property set work for those of us still on 2009?
0 Kudos
nitsev
Pilgrim

Please clarify

I have a similar problem and I need som clarification.

I have tried creating the very simplest installer that has an app. pool with Enable 32-Bit application set to Yes.

I have a site and an application under the site that both use the app. pool and which ASP.NET version is set to 2.0.
On Windows 7 x64, the installer fails with the same error message as in the first post.

The error message says:
InstallShield 12:59:33: SetAspversion: machine is 64-bit and IIS running in a bit mode other than the currently selected mode

There is no machine-state for the Enabel32BitAppOnWin64 on Windows 7 (or Windows Server 2008) as was the case on Windows Server 2003 x64, but the property applies to the individual app. pools, so it's perfectly valid to have one app. pool running 64-bit apps and one running 32-bit apps.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Pilgrim

Creating a new application pool for a website or application should allow for changing the 32-bit/64-bit application pool setting and allow the site or application to install correctly.

What is the ASP.NET Platform setting set to for the website/application that is using this application pool?
0 Kudos
philip4jc
Pilgrim

i have same problem in windows server 2008 64 bit, but it was solved, just change application pools enable 32 bit applications to be true in advance settings.

or using script

C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv>appcmd set apppool /apppool.name: "Classic .NET AppP
ool" /enable32bitapponwin64:true

C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv>appcmd set apppool /apppool.name: "DefaultAppPool" /
enable32bitapponwin64:true

or create two application for 32 bit and 64 bit operating systems
0 Kudos
deramor
Flexera beginner

Aside from using scripting to do this, is there any combination of settings that would allow a 64-bit app pool to be installed using 64-bit ASP.Net which also has Enable32bitAppOnWin64 enabled? This seems to be a disallowed combination of settings (says the help) however I have 2 comments:

1. I can imagine the entire world would like to install their older 32 bit apps onto 64 bit computers with simply allowing their code to run in a new 64 bit app pool.

2. When I set the "Enable32bitAppOnWin64" setting to false, my website installs but does not work since it is 32-bit code. Manually setting this advanced setting makes everything work. You would however expect that configuring your computer to a so called "bad state" would have some negative consequences however there are none.

I suppose I could simply install a 32-bit app pool however Installshield 2010 uses these settings to construct the ASP.Net path information which will be malformed on a 64-bit PC. This malformed path will cause a fatal error and the installation will roll back. The error is on the regiis -ir command. So this is not an acceptable fix either.

If anyone has any information please post.
0 Kudos
RaviPatel
Occasional contributor

Rollback when create new Application pool and assign it to Web Site

deramor wrote:
Aside from using scripting to do this, is there any combination of settings that would allow a 64-bit app pool to be installed using 64-bit ASP.Net which also has Enable32bitAppOnWin64 enabled? This seems to be a disallowed combination of settings (says the help) however I have 2 comments:

1. I can imagine the entire world would like to install their older 32 bit apps onto 64 bit computers with simply allowing their code to run in a new 64 bit app pool.

2. When I set the "Enable32bitAppOnWin64" setting to false, my website installs but does not work since it is 32-bit code. Manually setting this advanced setting makes everything work. You would however expect that configuring your computer to a so called "bad state" would have some negative consequences however there are none.

I suppose I could simply install a 32-bit app pool however Installshield 2010 uses these settings to construct the ASP.Net path information which will be malformed on a 64-bit PC. This malformed path will cause a fatal error and the installation will roll back. The error is on the regiis -ir command. So this is not an acceptable fix either.

If anyone has any information please post.

I have created installer to create IIS Web Site and installer creates new application pool for new Web site. I have 'Set Enable 32-Bit applications' property to No (I believe this point to Enable32bitAppOnWin64). When installer runs it create application pool but it throws error and installer rollbacks while creating Web Site. Any reason for error even if I create new application pool and map it with Web Site?

Found element with property 'name' value of: DefaultAppPool
Application pool Enable32bitAppOnWin64 value is 'false'
SetAspversion: machine is 64-bit and IIS running in a bit mode other than the currently selected mode
Error with IISRT: -2172
0 Kudos