cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
varunthukral
Level 3

Installer does not update existing files

I have created an installer with upgrade option and tried to run it while the software was alreay installed . It showed the message " This will perform an update of Application " after selecting yes it completed the installation process but on checking the files it was found that it has not copied new file I have kept ReinstallModeText to vomus . I have also tested with omus but of no use.
How to solve the issue ?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(17) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

A verbose log of the upgrade should provide some information as to why this is occurring. For example, if this is a minor upgrade, and Windows Installer minor upgrade component rules have been broken, the upgrade will not work as expected and SELMGR messages in the log will provide an indication of what the problem is.
0 Kudos
Michaella
Level 3

same problem, where can i find this log? how can i figure what was done during upgrade for all the files?
new component not been created, and files were not updated.
for some reason the log file of IS only updated in the clean installation and not in the upgrdae.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

You can manually create a log file:

msiexec /i product.msi /L*v everything.log

The InstallShield Tools menu has a command-line builder and a log analyzer that might help.
0 Kudos
varunthukral
Level 3

The command written will create log while creating installer but how to create log while installing after creating installer as I will click on setup.exe for instaltion .Should i write the code in instllation bat file before making exe or any other way?
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

You can use the /V switch to pass msiexec arguments through setup.exe:

setup /V"/L*v C:\everything.log"

A similar option is to use the MSI Command Line Arguments setting for setup.exe in the Releases view.
0 Kudos
JohnDoe
Level 3

I would think that the problem here is that you need to set "always overwrite" on the files. I you navigate to Setup Design --> Feature --> component --> Files, right click the files you wish to be replaced (or CTRL+A to select all) and choose properties. Make sure "Always Overwrite is checked".

Hope this helps...
0 Kudos
varunthukral
Level 3

Here the problem is that I m xcreating msi by dynamic linking ie files are added at run time then how to mark them
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

If you are using dynamic file links and are attempting to create a minor upgrade or a patch, the points outlined in the following article must be followed:
Q106247: INFO: Patch Creation Tips for Dynamically Linked Project Files

If these guidelines are not followed when attempting to create minor upgrades, the upgrade will most likely not work since the way dynamic file links are currently implemented will cause Windows Installer minor upgrade component rules to be broken.
0 Kudos
raven4281
Level 3

When programs have massive amounts of files and sub-directories that constantly change, dynamically linking is the only real maintainable option. If we have to split every single sub-directory into a separate component (as required in the above link) and create a key file that is versioned for all these directories... it becomes a maintenance nightmare for automated nightly builds.

I simply want it to copy any file that has a newer time-stamp, no matter what component its in, or whether its static or dynamically linked.

It seems upgrading dynamically linked files is a big problem for a lot of people, myself included. Would it be a big deal to have an option to compare file timestamps to decide if it should be overwritten and not have to rely on a key file?
0 Kudos
Donimoni
Level 3

and all of my components are dinamicly inserted....

i tried to set a dinamic componenet per folder,and have one static key file in this component.
and still in minor upgrade files are not replaced...

how can i fix this???
0 Kudos
raven4281
Level 3

Did you update the package code and version number? It should work if you have a statically linked key file that has changed. Then all the files in that component should get updated.
0 Kudos
Donimoni
Level 3

Hi

i have the same component as a static componenet for the Service registration,
and in a dynamic files components,which there i have set another
file as a key file.

i have tried to also change the package code,

files are never replaced in the minor upgrade mode,
not replaces also in modifay mode,
only in repair mode.

what can i do???
0 Kudos
ITI_Randy
Level 6

The message you describe happens when attempting a major upgrade without changing Package and Product GUIDs.

If you are performing a major upgrade, be sure you have changed both Package and Product GUIDs and also bump the version. Be sure to have a major upgrade item defined in the "Upgrades" section. For a minor upgrade, change the package code, update the verison, and define a minor upgrade item.

Is the file in question being updated from the last install? Remember that the only consideration in the update of versioned files in upgrades is language and version. If the version of the object in question is equal or lower, it will not be replaced.
0 Kudos
kondaj
Level 2

Hi,

You can create a logfile by enabling the logging option in Group Policy.

For this you have to do Goto Start->run-> type gpedit.msc. This will take you to group policy window. There Under local Computer policy -> Adminitrative Templates-> Window Components ->
Windows Installer -> Click on logging. This will open up a logging properties dialog. Check Enabled option and type 'voicewarmup' in the logging text box and then click apply and ok. This will create log file during installation. It creates logfile under temp folder. For example C:\Documents and Settings\ur name\ temp\ msi#####.log ( this should be the recent one.). You can go to this temp folder directly by typing %temp% in the windows explorer.
0 Kudos
Donimoni
Level 3

i changed the product version,and Package Code

i made a dynamic link component that look's like this:
Client:
setup.exe
Afcon.Pcim.WorkStation.application
Afcon.Pcim.WorkStation_8_0_1_5555.application
Client\netfx30:
Dotnetfx3.exe
Dotnetfx3_x64.exe

Client\Afcon.Pcim.WorkStation_8_0_1_5555:
Afcon.Pcim.Client.AlarmViewer.exe.deploy
Afcon.Pcim.Client.AlarmViewer.exe.config.deploy
.....meny other files like this....

now i delete the folder client when in minor upgrade mode...
and all files and folders are recreated exept
the folder Client\Afcon.Pcim.WorkStation_8_0_1_5555....

i even tried to configure this folder as static with one key file
and i set the override system version to "9999.9999.9999.9999"

i uploded some images that describes my situation...

nothing is helping....

what can i do....please its urgent....
what can i do???
0 Kudos
firdousa
Level 2

I am too facing the same issue. I did a major upgrade where I provided the path of old setup.exe as previous package in release wizard. I have checked the 'Always Overwrite' option, changed package code, changed version, tried almost everything but no luck. I can see the product version getting updated in the control panel installed program list. But my target folder is not getting updated with the new files. This is like an upgrade installed in an unknown directory. Please help me with this.

0 Kudos
varul
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @firdousa : If you are trying to do major upgrade, you need to change product code and you need to create a major upgrade entry under upgrade view, 

Please refer below KB link, which explains on how to create a major upgrade, 

https://community.flexera.com/t5/InstallShield-Knowledge-Base/How-to-Configure-a-Major-Upgrade/ta-p/193052

For Minor Upgrade:

https://community.flexera.com/t5/InstallShield-Knowledge-Base/How-to-Configure-a-Minor-Upgrade/ta-p/193820

If you want to do with only minor upgrade, then please try to install your setup.exe using command prompt with below parameters and verify it replaces all files or not. which will generate installation log files as well in temp. you can verify log on what causes the upgrade to fail.

<Path to setup.exe> /s /v"REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vamus /l*v "%temp%\Test_msi.log""

0 Kudos