cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peterc
Level 3

Installed Web application does not show up as a web application

Hi, I am assuming this is the correct forum to post questions for IS Limited edition as in the plugin for Dev studio 2013. (I could not see a group specifically for this). If not could someone please point me to the correct forum.

So assuming I am in the correct group, I have created a very simple Installshield setup for a web application, that does nothing by supply a REST service (via Web- API). As per a tutorial I have followed, I have gone into the "Configure the Target System Internet Information Services" section as filled it out as follows..

All the files seem to be installed correctly, and I can see an entry in IIS Manager, except that it does not appear to be installed as a "Web application". I need to manually right click, and then select "Convert to Application" for this to work.

Does any one have any ideas if I can get the install to do this step, and have my set install this project as a web application?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Best regards, Peter
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Superfreak3
Level 11

I'm not sure if this is related or not, but I use InstallShield 2013. Out of the box, I believe the only thing you can do is create a web site and not a web application. For our web application, I had to create various actions to query the available web sites on a machine and display those in a dialog. Once the parent site is selected, I create the application, assign application pool, etc via additional custom actions.

I did submit a feature request for the addition of similar functionality so that a web application can be installed/created without having to create a web site.

Again, not sure if its the same, but that functionality may not be there in your case either.
0 Kudos
Peterc
Level 3

Thanks for that Superfreak3.

I did some more searching and found that what I needed to do was
1. Add the web *site* (eg I added Default Web Site as I just want it to go under here)
2. Once I have done the above, I could then right click and add web *application*. It then went ahead and now it installs as a web application as I wanted.

Cheers
0 Kudos
gr1
Level 2

Peterc wrote:
Thanks for that Superfreak3.

I did some more searching and found that what I needed to do was
1. Add the web *site* (eg I added Default Web Site as I just want it to go under here)
2. Once I have done the above, I could then right click and add web *application*. It then went ahead and now it installs as a web application as I wanted.

Cheers

Peterc,

I know your post is nearly 2 years old. I am trying to duplicate what you did in Visual Studio 2015. On the IIS screen I added Default Web Site with Content Source Path of [IISROOTFOLDER]. I have tried it both with and without setting up a Default document. Then I set up my Web Application under it.

When I run the install, it fails at the IIS configuration point and rolls back the install.

If I just create my project as a Web Site under Web Sites then the install runs. But the web site needs to be elevated to a web project under IIS before the app runs.

Any advice? It seems that you got it to work 2 years ago.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
krishna_gaud
Level 2

Peterc wrote:
Hi,I m facing the same issue , have you got the solution?

I have to manually goto iis and select the newly installed folder and then convert it into application.

All the files seem to be installed correctly, and I can see an entry in IIS Manager, except that it does not appear to be installed as a "Web application". I need to manually right click, and then select "Convert to Application" for this to work.

Does any one have any ideas if I can get the install to do this step, and have my set install this project as a web application?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Best regards, Peter

Hi,I m facing the same issue , have you got the solution?

I have to manually goto iis and select the newly installed folder and then convert it into application.
0 Kudos
krishna_gaud
Level 2

Hi all ,

Can anyone help me on this as i have to manually configure my site into web application from iis.

How can we create setup which directly create web application inside iisrootfolder.
0 Kudos