cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VinayQA
Level 2

Installation suite for multiple exe sequence installation suite

Hi,

I am new to InstallShield (have IS 2012 Premier). I have 3 exe standalone installers using Installshield 2011. Using Suite installation i want to make all these into a single package. When i add in the packages i didnt add any conditions as these exe are self sufficient they detect their presence and do all necessary actions by a UI driven. But where i am stuck is when installed 2 exe installer which is a winzip self extractor it pops up a message saying "Installation appears to be failed would you like to continue?" message though it installed properly. Can anyone advice how to get rid of this and any other suggestion.

thanks for your time.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

Creating conditions for the .exe packages in your Suite project is a requirement. It's the only way that the Suite engine knows whether the package was successful. To help you get started, the following blog article has some tips on configuring conditions in InstallShield 2012. It also contains some links to more information.
6 Best Practice Tips for Defining Conditions in a Suite Project
0 Kudos
VinayQA
Level 2

Hi DebbieL,

Information you shared is very useful. I have couple of question here
1) The exe i am using is not my own how do i know wat it will detect for? Is there a way i can figure out the detection conditions for the same when i have a exe from third party?
2) I will launch the exe that is fine but incase if someone manually uninstall one of the exe in suite (having 3 exes) from host PC. In uninstall of the suite installer it tries to install rather than uninstall i feel for this the detection condition is important
3) In general information view Disable change button and Disable Remove button are by default set to "YES" what are the ideal settings for this?

thanks
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

1) You either need to contact the third party and ask them, or do some researching and testing on your own. You basically want to look for a file, a registry key, an Uninstall key, or something that is present only if the .exe product is installed, but absent if the .exe product is removed or was never installed. Your detection condition needs to be built with this in mind.
2) If you add appropriate detection conditions, this should no longer be a problem.
3) The default values for these are actually No. That is how most users seem to configure their Suite projects. It all depends on whether you want to allow users to use Add or Remove Programs to change or remove the Suite product.
0 Kudos
rftemer
Level 2

Hi Guys,

I'm using a Suite Project to manager 2 .exe (one of the X86 and other X64), when I created the project and set the 2 packages and the Feature, every thing is OK, but if I execute the installer the fist screen always is in Program Maintenance. I didn't put any Condition.

Thanks a lot!
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

rftemer,

You'll need to define conditions for each .exe package a Suite/Advanced UI installation. The blog article I linked to earlier in this thread has more information.

In addition, we now have a white paper that goes into a lot of detail on things like how a Suite/Advanced UI installation determines whether to run in first-time installation mode or in maintenance mode. Here's a link:
Managing the Life Cycle of a Suite/Advanced UI Installation
0 Kudos