cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
esterel
Level 2

Installation size in ARP menu

Hello,
Somes files are installed during the installation process by extracting 7Zip archives.
The real size of my installed application is different from the one calculated by the "Cost" functions.

I would like to update or to hide the size shown in the Add & remove programs

I spent a lot of time to find a solution. Many topics deal with this issue, but I didn't found a working solution.

I tried to updated the registry "SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Uninstall\\" ( value EstimatedSize)
it's work temporarily, but after a period this registry key is restaured.

I tried to use the ARPSize property , but this option did not affect the value displayed

PS I using installshield 2015SP2, my apps is developed for Windows 7 and higher

Some one have a tips or a solution ?
Thanks for your help

Regards
--Jean-Luc
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Cary_R
Level 11

You want to manually populate the ReserveCost table using Direct Editor:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa371226(v=vs.85).aspx

0 Kudos
esterel
Level 2

Thanks for your reply.

In my situation I do not know the size of my installation, it depend of others softwares already installed on the client Machine,
It's why I cannot use the ReserveCost table from Direct Editor.
The other solution will be to don"t display size at all in the ARP menu.

Do you knowif it's possible?

Regards
--Jean-Luc
0 Kudos
Cary_R
Level 11

As far as I know, it is not possible to disable the size in ARP.

ReserveCost you can populate dynamically by inserting temporary records using a custom action (lots of examples out there on how to do this, but mostly used for ComboBox values), so if you have some way of estimating what's already on the machine, this might still be an option. If you are going this route, make sure you sequence the CA in the Exec/UI sequences and condition accordingly, and ensure it's before CostFinalize.

There is one other possibility, which will be a lot of work. The properties like size and such are populated by the Windows Installer engine, and so you may be able to get your own custom entry which doesn't contain the size value. Note that there's probably packages in ARP which don't display their size--that is because they use an *.exe installer which manages the ARP entry, and which doesn't set the flag to tell it to use Windows Installer to manage it. So, you could set ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT for your *.msi package and wrap it with some sort of *.exe that either you write yourself, or use something off the shelf like an InstallScript project or a Wix Bootstrapper application.

If you are really, really stuck on this, and it's very, very important, you can always submit a per-incident to Microsoft support. (They will charge you for it, and there's no guarantee they will provide a solution that is easy or satisfying--but they built the Msiexec.exe engine).

Good luck!
0 Kudos