cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rmsware
Level 2

Installation on Windows 7 and 8 stops

Hi all,

I am new at this forum and have one question.
I build a new installation with Installshield 2014 Express and this works on my Windows XP (I know it is old...) but it does not
work on Windows 7 and 8. The install process stopped everytime when the file moving should start. This happens in the way that
the installation is ended. Now message is shown and no install process is in the task manager anymore.

Do anyone has an idea what the reason could be for that behaviour?

I would be thankful for every answer.

Best regards,
rmsware
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
DLee65
Level 13

If this is a MSI installer try running the install with logging enable, /L*v.

Read the MSI log file and evaluate where the error occurs and should indicate the component in question.
0 Kudos
rmsware
Level 2

DLee65 wrote:
If this is a MSI installer try running the install with logging enable, /L*v.

Read the MSI log file and evaluate where the error occurs and should indicate the component in question.

Dear Dan Lee,

thanks for your answer. I did the logging but I am not sure how to evaluate it so to find the error. The other question is that
the logging stopped right in the middle. It is one of the lines changing the target file name and there it stopped. I am not
sure if it is only a problem in logging or if this is the basic problem.

What I saw testing it is that the Windows Installer is still in the task manager even after the break down.

Best regards,
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

I just did a quick Google of how to read a msi log file.

One of the top links: http://blogs.technet.com/b/richard_macdonald/archive/2007/04/02/how-to-interpret-windows-installer-logs.aspx

If the process for msiexec does not have any CPU action then I would not be concerned with msiexec process still running.

You state that things break down in setting path statements. Is there any custom action that occurs around this area? Could you be encountering issues with x86 vs x64 path issues? I am just speculating at this point based on the limited info.
0 Kudos