cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joshstechnij
Pilgrim

Re: Installation modifies unrelated application pools

Note that when an ASP.NET version of 4.0 is set for websites or applications, the InstallShield IIS functionality calls the .NET 4.0 version of aspnet_regiis.exe. When this tool runs, any existing application pools that are not set to use .NET 4.0 are duplicated, renamed to "ASP.NET v4.0 Existing name", and have their .NET framework versions set to v4.0.

Generally speaking, the ASP.NET version field for websites and applications should only be used on these items that are installing on IIS 6.0 machines. When installing on IIS 7.x, an application pool should be installed and have its .NET version set as needed, and the ASP.NET version for websites and applications should be left unset.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
NassereB
Pilgrim

Thank you very much for your answer.

Do we need to create custom actions to support IIS 6.0 and IIS 7.0.
For IIS 6.0:
- Set the ASP.NET version for websites and applications
- Unset the version for application pools

For IIS 7.0:
- Unset the ASP.NET version for websites and applications
- Set the ASP.NET version for application pools

OR is there another or better way to do that?

Many thanks.
0 Kudos
vincente
Pilgrim

does anyone has another solution for this issue,
is NassereB's solution the only solution, or can anyone propose another one.
0 Kudos
NassereB
Pilgrim

Hi,

I have authored a major upgrade (for installer versions where the ASP.NET version is different).
By doing this the application pools and websites/applications gets reinstalled and no duplicates are created.

I have set the ASP.NET version for websites/applications and application pools.

Tested all scenarios (IIS6/7, 32/64bit OS, upgrade and new install) and everything works fine.
0 Kudos
OneDayBehind
Pilgrim

joshstechnij wrote:
When installing on IIS 7.x, an application pool should be installed and have its .NET version set as needed, and the ASP.NET version for websites and applications should be left unset.

This worked for me. I'm glad I found this post or I would've gone insane. Smiley Surprised
0 Kudos
CodisISUser
Pilgrim

NassereB wrote:
Hi,

I have authored a major upgrade (for installer versions where the ASP.NET version is different).
By doing this the application pools and websites/applications gets reinstalled and no duplicates are created.

I have set the ASP.NET version for websites/applications and application pools.

Tested all scenarios (IIS6/7, 32/64bit OS, upgrade and new install) and everything works fine.

Is this thread still alive? can anyone help me? NassereB ?
I have the same issue and this is happening on IIS 7 or higher as we are setting the versions for applications. Can anyone tell me how can I use custom actions to do this? As I don't want to leave websites and applications version un-set as we have numerous sites for IIS6 as well. If I do this I will end up with 2 set of installers which doesn't look right, please any thoughts?

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
IlkkaV
Pilgrim

0 Kudos
CodisISUser
Pilgrim

IlkkaV wrote:
Did you notice what worked for me? Is that of any help? http://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?196700-Installation-modifies-unrelated-applicati...

Hi IlkkaV

I am not sure I cannot see any duplicates entry as far as I can tell, I have seen your post but can't figure out much, I will paste my ISIISItem table here:

ISIISItem (s72) ISIItem_Parent (S72) DisplayName (L255) Type(i4) Component_(S72)
IisItem3 ASP.NET v4.0.30319 5 WebServiceExtensionComponent
ISAppPool MyAppName -2147483644 AppPoolComponent
IisItem1 MyApplicationName 1 WebsiteComponent3
IisItem2 IisItem1 MyAppName 2 WebsiteComponent3

Can you any duplicates in there?
0 Kudos