cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
J_anitha
Level 8

Installation goes for upgrade?

Hi,

If I run my installer on a system which has the same version of the product installed..it prompts me with a message "Do you want to upgrade product?". How can I disable this in InstallScript MSI project?

I dont want the upgrade prompt, instead I have to display the Maintainence dialog.

Can I override OnSetUpdateMode() function in InstallScript MSI? I tried doing the same, but gave me an error stating prototype not found.

Thanks alot!
Anitha
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
anilkumar_mca
Level 8

Hi,

I too faced the same problem: 😞

http://community.acresso.com/showthread.php?t=188007
http://community.acresso.com/showthread.php?t=187971

I didnt get the reason but i solved that issue... its good if anyone tell us why it is happening....... 🙂
0 Kudos
J_anitha
Level 8

Thanks anil.

Did you solve the issue with msizap?

anitha
0 Kudos
anilkumar_mca
Level 8

Hi,

No i didnt use that....

can u try the following.... this approach worked for me...
+ r u getting this issue with that installer for the first time?
+ if not and if it is working properly upto now, then check the code difference
+ if u find difference, check the dependecy of the changed code
+ revert the changes and test that installer
+ if it is working properly, then install the same installer in the machine where u r getting the 'upgrade' message, it will go for repair mode
+ after the upgrade it will create two entries in ARP
+ then it uninstalled properly
0 Kudos
J_anitha
Level 8

Anil,

Installer goes for an upgrade only when I build the project again (without version change) and also when the installation is cancelled in between.

And it's behaving this way, since it was created 😞

I wanted to know how to override OnSetUpdateMode() in InstallScript MSI project.

Anitha
0 Kudos
Lurean
Level 8

If you check the two installers they will have different package codes. They might even have different product codes, but the same upgrade code.

These GUIDs determine the behavior you will see. In order for a product to be recognized as the same install all the GUIDS must match.

By default a new package code is generated every time you build. Product codes should only be changing when you change them, but not sure about that in an installscript MSI. I have done most of my work in a Basic MSI project.

James
0 Kudos
J_anitha
Level 8

Thanks James.
I set the entry "Generate Package Code" to "No" in Releases, it's working fine now! 🙂
0 Kudos