cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
ksams97
Level 3

Installation fails with error code 2343 (Specified path is empty) at the end of CreateFolders Action

Jump to solution

I picked up this project from another co-worker that no longer works at my company. The InstallShield build was already broken when I started on it. I have a working build (v94) and a broken build (v98). I was able to capture the installation logs for both of them. When taking the diff of both logs I noticed some missing/added files between v94 and v98. I also noticed where the installation is failing, at the end of the CreateFolders action I can see where v94 continues the installation process and where v98 fails with error code 2343. I first suspected that the missing/added files were what broke the install. So, I have added them all back in but have not seen any difference in the failure after re-building. I have included both logs (modified to fit as attachments).  Please take a look and let me know what can be causing the extra FolderCreate command to execute with an empty path (error 2343) and how (if possible) to get any more verbose information on the error.

For reference, we use this installer to cross check with a license file to determine what needs to be installed on the computer.  For our internal company use, we install everything which is why this issue appears.

I am relatively new to InstallShield so any help on where to look in my project for this issue would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you need the full logs.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Solution

@Revenera_Ian Thanks for your reply. I was able to resolve my issue. I did a search in the Validation file for any references to CreateFolder. A few error referenced this function call but only one of them was causing the failed installation. In the Files and Folders, one of my folders was named incorrectly for the files it was trying to reference. The incorrect folder name did exist but did not contain all of the files that were defined as residing in that folder. So, changing this folder name to the appropriate folder updated the CreateFolder table variable and I was able to successfully install.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
(11) Replies
Revenera_Ian
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @ksams97,

Thank you for your post.

Does validating your project (Build > Validate > Full MSI Validation Suite) tell you anything?

Note: The installer must be built as an MSI only without a setup.exe before proceeding with the validation. The functionality was tested with a Basic MSI test project.

Please give that a try. What are your test results?

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

0 Kudos

Hey @Revenera_Ian ,

Thanks for your quick response! Could you please explain how to build as an MSI only without a setup.exe?

I have been building in Visual Studio 2012 with the InstallShield plugin

Thanks,

Kyle

0 Kudos
varul
Revenera Moderator

Hi,

The error 2343 usually occurs when the installdir property or your own custom property sets in installdir property is empty,

Please refer the below KB article for error 2343 and see it fixes your issue or not.

https://community.flexera.com/t5/InstallShield-Knowledge-Base/Windows-Installer-Error-2343/ta-p/4719

You can also check in your ism file for create folder table and see all details are available in create folder table.

To build only MSI you need to set this setup launcher to NO, under MEDIA --> releases-->  setup.exe tab and set it to NO (by default it be YES), (NOTE: If you are build build in visual studio you need to change this setting under Default configuration --> debug )

Also make sure you create a compressed MSI, you can check that in Build tab --> compression field value to Compressed. 

Please refer attached screenshot.

0 Kudos

@varul @Revenera_Ian  I have attached the validation file after a rebuild with only an MSI file. I am currently parsing through this myself looking for anything that sticks out. 

My concern is there seem to be a lot of errors that have not prevented a successful build/install until now. So, how do I dissect this to determine the culprit?

0 Kudos
varul
Revenera Moderator

Did you try the KB suggestion for error 2343, is that error fixed, did you checked your properties set for create folder in direct editor?

To fix this validation error, please follow below kb article which explain steps to solve error ICE03

https://community.flexera.com/t5/InstallShield-Knowledge-Base/ICE03-Validation-Error/ta-p/4165

0 Kudos

I did try the KB suggestion for error 2343. I did not have to fix anything because all Dialogs that have a Browse property all have valid path values. Also, I do not have a Set Directory custom action

0 Kudos

@varul The link for ICE03 error mentions the _Validation table. My project does not have a _Validation table in the Direct Editor. Am I looking in the wrong location?

0 Kudos

I believe analyzing the Validation log might lead me down a rabbit hole of guessing where my issue arose from, so I would like to try and stay away from that especially because there are 5,900 errors that I am pretty sure were there before Error 2343 happened. What I would like to know is how to determine what folder/file caused the extra call to FolderCreate with an empty path as seen in myLogRecent.LOG right before Error 2343? What else other than the KB article recommendations for error 2343 could cause this error based on what is in my LOG? Is there a way to get a more verbose error message other than just "Error code 2343: Specified Path is Empty"?

I believe this has to do with a file/folder because this project is cross checking with a license file to determine what applications(made of our folders/file system) to install. Our internal license file has hundreds of licenses. When installing just one of these licenses using the most recent "broken" build, the installation completes successfully. When installing all of our licenses using the most recent "broken" build, the installation fails and I get the error seen in myLogRecent.LOG. When installing with all licenses, I see the error dialog pop up right after "Creating Folders" appears above the progress bar (progress bar has not moved at all). Please see my image attached.

0 Kudos

Hi @ksams97,

Thank you for your reply.

Sorry about the delayed response.

Could you please navigate to Get Support > Open New Case in the top menu and open a new case for tracking this issue in order to proceed? This will allow us to best track this issue in order to best assist you.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

0 Kudos

@Revenera_Ian Thanks for your reply. I was able to resolve my issue. I did a search in the Validation file for any references to CreateFolder. A few error referenced this function call but only one of them was causing the failed installation. In the Files and Folders, one of my folders was named incorrectly for the files it was trying to reference. The incorrect folder name did exist but did not contain all of the files that were defined as residing in that folder. So, changing this folder name to the appropriate folder updated the CreateFolder table variable and I was able to successfully install.

0 Kudos

Hi @ksams97,

Thank you for the update. I'm happy to hear that this issue was resolved.

I've accepted your reply as a solution to this issue.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

0 Kudos