cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nitsev
Level 6

Installation fails when using IISPREFERLEGACYOBJECTS on Windows Vista

Hi,

Problem: In my project I install a site and under the site a virtual directory "vdir". On Windows Vista with IIS 7. This will create the site OK and an application called "vdir" (as I set an application name), fine. It will however also create virtual directories below the site so you'll end up with duplicates i.e. you will have an application called under the site, but under the application you will have the same root directory as in the application, but now as a virtual directory. This has been reported by others and there are other threads on the subject as well. A workaround was supposed to set the IISPREFERLEGACYOBJECTS property. However if I set this property the installer aborts with the following error message

InstallShield 14:09:16: SetaData failed with HRESULT: -2147024846. The request is not supported.
InstallShield 14:09:16: Error with IISRT: -2147024846. Error translation: The request is not supported.

All the files are then rolled back, but the site is left on the system. IIS 6 metabase compatibility is installed on the target system that is Windows Vista 32bit with SP1. The same installation runs fine on Windows Server 2003.

Am I missing something?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
ChinniMP
Level 3

Can you tell me how to set the property "IISPREFERLEGACYOBJECTS" in IIS7.0?

Can you tell me how to create Virtual directory in Vista?

Thanks in Advance
0 Kudos
nitsev
Level 6

IISPREFERLEGACYOBJECTS is not a property of IIS but of the InstallShield project. It tells the installer to use IIS 6 compatible configuration (instead of IIS 7) to set the various IIS settings. It is only used on IIS 7.

Do you want to create the virtual dir from IIS or in the IIS Manager? In IS you create the virtual dir under a site, or create a custom action calling appcmd if you're on IIS7 (since IS 2009 does not correctly create virtual dirs on IIS 7)
0 Kudos
ChinniMP
Level 3

Thanks!

I want exact location where this property is in install shield?

Because i saw in some other article they told u have to replace two dlls and we have to set this property then it will create the virtual directory in IIS Manager

am i going right?

Or is there any other way to create it?

Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
nitsev
Level 6

Well, click Properties (or is it Property?) on the left-side tree and you'll get a grid with property name and value. the property is not there by default so you'll have to create it. Remember that it is all capital letters. Have you tried searching the KB?
0 Kudos
ChinniMP
Level 3

Hi,

I am not able to create the property.

Please send the screenshots, where and how we can create properties.

Thanks
0 Kudos
nitsev
Level 6

ChinniMP wrote:
Hi,

I am not able to create the property.

Please send the screenshots, where and how we can create properties.

Thanks

Sorry but I don't have the time. I suggest you either consult the online documentation/kbase or contact Acresso support.
0 Kudos
alphacz
Level 5

Weird; I am using this property in a similar fashion and am not getting this error. What happens directly before:

InstallShield 14:09:16: SetaData failed with HRESULT: -2147024846. The request is not supported.

Is it attempting to create the virtual directory, web site, app pool, etc?

Also, does this happen in all of your Vista environments? (is it possible some pre-req isn't installed correctly...)
0 Kudos