cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
patrick_arena
Level 4

Installation Over the top problems!

Hello everyone.
I would like to be able to make an installation over the top which to me (correct me if I'm wrong) means I'd like to be able to install a program several time without going through the Uninstall/Modify/Repair Dialog or through the "Do you want to uninstall this program" messageBox.

I got to find a first solution by launching the program through a batch file with Setup.exe /V" REINSTALLMODE=voums REINSTALL=ALL"

1. I would be nice to be able to embed those parameters so that I haven't got to use a batch file but can directly launch the setup.exe file.
2. the major issue now is that I am not able to uninstall the program since it doesn't appear anymore in the uninstall part of the control panel. And the setup.exe /x option is not working

So basically if I use this option to make over the top installations i can't uninstall the program.

Thank you for your kind help
Patrick
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
DLee65
Level 13

Patrick,

In the releases view you can specify the MSI command-line arguments that you specified. Click on the Setup.exe tab and the second field is for the MSI Command-Line Arguments.

However, I would first check the product code for the MSI in question. You should specify msiexec /x {ProductGUID} to correctly uninstall the previous version. Note that the ProductCode GUID should match the value installed on the system.
Make sure that you have not changed the UpgradeCode value, unless you are defining a new product. In that case you should not be worrying about uninstalling the previous product.

You may want to review the information regarding major upgrades vs minor upgrades on MSDN as well as it sounds as if you are trying to implement a minor upgrade while implementing the steps for a major upgrade (changing ProductVersion and ProductCode).
0 Kudos
patrick_arena
Level 4

Hell Dan,
thank you for the reply.

So first of all let me make it clear what I'm struggling for.
I would like to be able to run my installer as if it was the first time for any version.
So say that I'm doing launching the version 1.00.00 the first time, then - ON THE SAME MACHINE - I install the 1.01.00 I do not want to get any remove/modify dialogue.
To do this as I I told you I launch the setup.exe installer through setup.bat which launches the command.

start .\Setup.exe /V" REINSTALLMODE=voums REINSTALL=ALL"

Is this the right way to do what I need?!?

That being said as I told you I have to be able to uninstall the latest installed version from the Programs and features tab in the control panel.
To do that I have copied the guid from Installation Information---->General Information---->Product Code ---> {4E513BB8-74A0-4626-A967-EFB85EAE9759}
You can see that in the attached Scr1.jpg picture.
Then -as you can see in the Scr2.jpg picture- I pasted this code in Media---->Releases---->Setup Tab----> Msi Command-Line Arguments----> /x {4E513BB8-74A0-4626-A967-EFB85EAE9759}

Alas that didn't work. When I launch the installer it says 1629 invalid command line as you can see in Scr3.jpg
So now I'm puzzled and don't know where I went wrong.
Thank you for your help
Patrick
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

Patrick,

You are using the command line option incorrectly. Did you check the help for how this should be used. I was suggesting typing in your REINSTALLMODE and REINSTALLALL commands here so that they are applied all of the time.

What you are trying to do is highly irregular. MSI is designed from the ground up to manage install, uninstall, reinstall and resiliency. If a product of the same uninstall code is found then you are trying to manipulate the installer to not upgrade it for some reason when you really want the installer to act like a new install without removing the previous install, but still overwriting the existing install, that to me is a recipe for disaster. In reality you should probably change the upgrade code and product code since you want these to always be a 'new' install.

Note that the command line option in the installer will only apply if the user executes the setup.exe. The registry contains information to the MSI package not your setup.exe package. So when using add/remove programs the command line parameters are not available.

If you are truly trying to 'upgrade' a previous version then you should review the requirements for a major upgrade and examine the underlying issue of why showing a message indicating that MSI is upgrading a previous version is a blocker for you. Do you need the installer to always reevaluate the feature conditions? Component conditions? A major upgrade should allow for this.
0 Kudos