DandamanAUS
Flexera beginner

InstallShiled Activation Wizard has stopped working (2014)

Dear Support,

Our development server with InstallShield 2014 on it died and so we vitalised the backup.

I was trying to reauthorise it using the offline method as the automatic authorisation failed and I couldn't see where to release the licence from the now dead hardware.

When I click on the InstallShield 2014 shortcut now I receive the message
---------------------------
InstallShield
---------------------------
The product license has been corrupted. You must repair the license before you can continue. Click yes to repair now.
---------------------------
Yes No
---------------------------

When I click No nothing happens and when I click Yes I get a crash message "InstallShiled Activation Wizard has stopped working".
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: TSConfig.exe
Application Version: 21.0.0.338
Application Timestamp: 5491e4f0
Fault Module Name: TSConfig.exe
Fault Module Version: 21.0.0.338
Fault Module Timestamp: 5491e4f0
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000505c
OS Version: 6.2.9200.2.0.0.16.7
Locale ID: 3081
Additional Information 1: 5861
Additional Information 2: 5861822e1919d7c014bbb064c64908b2
Additional Information 3: 1a2a
Additional Information 4: 1a2aa8e38ac8adbb6fe1e594fa623c2e

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=190175

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

1. Is there a way to start in safe mode to reset the activation process?

We have installShield 2013 installed on the same server which activated without issues... manly because the auto activation worked first time.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
DandamanAUS
Flexera beginner

Just tried
tsconfig.exe /return
and it causes the same crash.
0 Kudos
Evan_Border
Pilgrim

Dandaman wrote:
Dear Support,

Our development server with InstallShield 2014 on it died and so we vitalised the backup.

I was trying to reauthorise it using the offline method as the automatic authorisation failed and I couldn't see where to release the licence from the now dead hardware.

When I click on the InstallShield 2014 shortcut now I receive the message
---------------------------
InstallShield
---------------------------
The product license has been corrupted. You must repair the license before you can continue. Click yes to repair now.
---------------------------
Yes No
---------------------------

When I click No nothing happens and when I click Yes I get a crash message "InstallShiled Activation Wizard has stopped working".
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: TSConfig.exe
Application Version: 21.0.0.338
Application Timestamp: 5491e4f0
Fault Module Name: TSConfig.exe
Fault Module Version: 21.0.0.338
Fault Module Timestamp: 5491e4f0
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000505c
OS Version: 6.2.9200.2.0.0.16.7
Locale ID: 3081
Additional Information 1: 5861
Additional Information 2: 5861822e1919d7c014bbb064c64908b2
Additional Information 3: 1a2a
Additional Information 4: 1a2aa8e38ac8adbb6fe1e594fa623c2e

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=190175

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

1. Is there a way to start in safe mode to reset the activation process?

We have installShield 2013 installed on the same server which activated without issues... manly because the auto activation worked first time.


1. Make sure that you have Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 (x86) Redistributable, Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 (x86) Redistributable, and Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Update 1 (or Update 3 or Update 4) x86 Redistributable installed.

2. You may need to repair InstallShield 2014 (go to the Control Panel > Programs and Features). Also, you might consider uninstalling InstallShield 2014 and installing InstallShield 2014 SP1 (released this past December).

3. You can return the InstallShield 2014 license by performing the following:
a) Open an elevated command prompt
b) Change directory to C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield\2014\System\
c) TSConfig.exe /return

After returning the license, launch InstallShield 2014 and it will ask you to activate.

If you still have issues, you should contact Flexera Software Support.
h t t p : / / learn.flexerasoftware.com/content/Support-Inquiry
http://learn.flexerasoftware.com/content/Support-Inquiry
0 Kudos
DandamanAUS
Flexera beginner

I un-installed and reinstalled 2014 to try and resolve the issue with no change.
Surely there is a way to clear out or reset the activation wizard for 2014?
0 Kudos
Evan_Border
Pilgrim

Dandaman wrote:
I un-installed and reinstalled 2014 to try and resolve the issue with no change.
Surely there is a way to clear out or reset the activation wizard for 2014?


There is, but I hesitate to have you try that, as it could disrupt other Flexera Software products. (you mentioned also having InstallShield 2013).

If you need to, the activation can be gotten rid of by deleting the 3 files in C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet\
Removing that will get rid of activation for all of your Flexera Software products (the node-locked ones), so be careful.
0 Kudos
Evan_Border
Pilgrim

If you need to completely wipe out the activation and the service that controls it, you can perform the following steps:

a. Stop the FlexNet Licensing Service using sc.exe stop "FlexNet Licensing Service"
b. Delete the FlexNet Licensing Service using sc.exe delete "FlexNet Licensing Service"
c. Delete C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet\MVSN_00668100_tsf.data
d. Delete C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet\MVSN_00668100_tsf.data_backup.001
e. Delete C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet\MVSN_00668100_event.log
f. Delete C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FlexNet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
g. Delete C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FlexNet Publisher\fnp_registrations.xml

You may also want to read the KB article:
h t t p s : / / flexeracommunity.force.com/customer/articles/en_US/PROBLEM/InstallShield-2014-Activation-Error-51311-51314-Repeating-Activation-Successful-Message
https://flexeracommunity.force.com/customer/articles/en_US/PROBLEM/InstallShield-2014-Activation-Err...
0 Kudos
DandamanAUS
Flexera beginner

Thanks for your reply Evan!
I had not seen your response when I posted my other replies, I was just going through my usual process.
I am installing all the missing 188 updates for the windows 2012 server at the moment so will try clearing out the licence tomorrow after looking at that article you just posted.

Thanks again and I will update with my progress tomorrow.
0 Kudos
DandamanAUS
Flexera beginner

I installed all the updates for the server to make sure this fix is applied:
http://www.flexerasoftware.com/landing/Microsoft-Security-Update-IS-AR-KB2962872.html

I also followed these steps:
a. Stop the FlexNet Licensing Service using sc.exe stop "FlexNet Licensing Service"
b. Delete the FlexNet Licensing Service using sc.exe delete "FlexNet Licensing Service"
c. Delete C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet\MVSN_00668100_tsf.data
d. Delete C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet\MVSN_00668100_tsf.data_backup.001
e. Delete C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet\MVSN_00668100_event.log
f. Delete C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FlexNet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
g. Delete C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FlexNet Publisher\fnp_registrations.xml

Which cleared out the 2013 licence but the 2014 still crashed on startup.

I restored the MVSN_ files to get 2013 licenced again so I can keep using it until Flexera get back to me from the ticket I raised.

It looks like its a specific issue with the TSConfig.exe application and 2014.
0 Kudos
Evan_Border
Pilgrim

Dandaman wrote:
I installed all the updates for the server to make sure this fix is applied:
http://www.flexerasoftware.com/landing/Microsoft-Security-Update-IS-AR-KB2962872.html

I also followed these steps:
a. Stop the FlexNet Licensing Service using sc.exe stop "FlexNet Licensing Service"
b. Delete the FlexNet Licensing Service using sc.exe delete "FlexNet Licensing Service"
c. Delete C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet\MVSN_00668100_tsf.data
d. Delete C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet\MVSN_00668100_tsf.data_backup.001
e. Delete C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet\MVSN_00668100_event.log
f. Delete C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FlexNet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
g. Delete C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FlexNet Publisher\fnp_registrations.xml

Which cleared out the 2013 licence but the 2014 still crashed on startup.

I restored the MVSN_ files to get 2013 licenced again so I can keep using it until Flexera get back to me from the ticket I raised.

It looks like its a specific issue with the TSConfig.exe application and 2014.


Have you run the system file checker to look for and fix corrupted files?
h t t p s : / / support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833/
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833/

I have used InstallShield 2014 on sooo many machines and have never seen that error, so I'm thinking a (non-Flexera) file might be corrupted.
(Note: I know that 2013 is working for you, but I think the activation in 2014 may be utilizing different version(s) of the Microsoft Visual C++ redistributable, so it's not really the same)
0 Kudos
DandamanAUS
Flexera beginner

Running "sfc /scannow" now.

It was all working fine on the old hardware. Its probably an issue with being virtualised. It was bringing up the authorise window initially, but after I tried to authorise it from the licence center with the .lic file manually it seemed to corrupt something.

Support got back to me to backup the MVSN_ files, so that didn't fix anything, waiting for their further instructions.
0 Kudos
DandamanAUS
Flexera beginner

I did:

C:\Users\Administrator.XXX.000>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired
them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
supported in offline servicing scenarios.

C:\Users\Administrator.XXX.000>

But that didn't fix installShield 2014.
Just waiting on support now.
0 Kudos
Evan_Border
Pilgrim

Dandaman wrote:
I did:

C:\Users\Administrator.XXX.000>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired
them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
supported in offline servicing scenarios.

C:\Users\Administrator.XXX.000>

But that didn't fix installShield 2014.
Just waiting on support now.


You may want to review that CBS.log file to see if it can shed some light on the extent of the corruption. There are only so many files under the watchful eye of sfc.exe. You know some of those were corrupted. You have no idea how many other files are also corrupted (and, realistically, unfixable). I would not trust your Windows install.
0 Kudos
Evan_Border
Pilgrim

Another thought: I would uninstall all of the Microsoft Visual C++ redistributables and then reinstall them. If any of them were corrupted, that would not be seen by sfc.exe (the 2008, 2010 and 2012 C++ redistributables are not part of Windows)
0 Kudos
DandamanAUS
Flexera beginner

Thanks look at reinstalling the c++ redistributables.

I read up on sfc and it said I should restart if anything was fixed.
I restarted the server and now it wont come back on. Doh no licences for our clients today.

Now waiting on the IT guy to tell me on which virtual server he restored it onto on Monday.

He might have to restore it again for me to use installshield 2013 and everything else until we create a new fresh server to migrate everything over to.
0 Kudos
DandamanAUS
Flexera beginner

Looks like I may have clicked shut-down instead of restart. What a newb.
Any who its back up and I will try the C++ files on Monday.
I did find out which virtual server it is on now though.
0 Kudos
DandamanAUS
Flexera beginner

I just uninstalled and reinstalled the latst 2008, 2010 and 2012 C++ files.
Then restarted the server.
It did not fix the Activation wizard of 2014 from crashing on startup.
0 Kudos
DandamanAUS
Flexera beginner

The only issue similar to mine I can find is

"InstallShield crashes after installing this week’s Windows Updates

July 11th, 2014 by Stefan Krueger and tagged InstallShield

Several users are reporting that their InstallShield authoring tool stops working immediately after starting it. Apparently this is caused by an incompatibilty with Microsoft update MS14-037 “Security update for Internet Explorer versions 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11? (KB2962872) which was distributed on this week’s Patch Turesday. Flexera is aware of the problem. A possible workaround is to uninstall the Windows patch, however this puts your system in an insecure, vulnerable state.

To get the latest information about workarounds and to get notified when a fix is available, please subscribe to this thread in the Flexera Community forum and/or contact Flexera support: https://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?217569-InstallShield-Crashes-and-Microsoft-KB-2962872"
http://blogs.msmvps.com/installsite/blog/2014/07/11/installshield-crashes-after-installing-this-week...

However I don't have KB2962872 installed.

I installed the fix just to try it and that didn't help.
0 Kudos
DandamanAUS
Flexera beginner

So for those who come across this thread and are wondering what the cause of this error is.

The crash of install shield was because of the licencing. It was because the licence was not released from the operating system on the old hardware that corrupted.
So if your computer with InstallShield 2014 on it dies then you will have to go through 20 emails to get down to the problem.

Basically the steps where:
1. Delete the MSVN files
2. Edit the registry information to add some key to it that was missing
3. Uninstall and reinstall
4. Have Flexera clear your licence so you can authorise the product again. (After agreeing to the EULA of not have more than one active copy of the product going for the one licence)

So now its all up and working and I have to redo the crystal reports 13_0_12 pre requites. But other than that it all looks ok.
0 Kudos