cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bernardoely
Level 2

InstallShield releasing outdated DLL from Temp. ASP.NET files instead of /bin/Release

Greetings.
We're using .NET v4.0, VS2012 Update 1 and latest version of InstallShield 2012 Spring Limited Edition.

We got scared when noticed that InstallShield doesn't rely on latest built libraries from project output. Instead, it gets the oldest version as possible from*Temporary ASP.NET Files folder! (C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files)

Unless we clean up Temporary ASP.NET Files, there is no way for InstallShield to embed the actual latest DLL from project output.

Furthermore, I had two outdated versions of that DLL in*Temporary ASP.NET Files folder, and InstallShield got the oldest one. After I deleted the oldest it got another outdated DLL from there. Finally, I cleaned up*Temporary ASP.NET Files and it got the DLL from Bin/Release (which should be the only and obvious place to get the DLLs from).

Once we cannot rely on a manual procedure of cleaning up*Temporary ASP.NET Files folder, we just don't know what to do.

We hope we don't need to build our own Setup mechanism...

Kindly advise.*

Regards,
Bernardo Ely
0 Kudos
(11) Replies
Shekar
Level 7

I have not seen anything like this? how are verifying that it takes old version? do you have an sample which replicates this?
0 Kudos
bernardoely
Level 2

Shekar wrote:
I have not seen anything like this? how are verifying that it takes old version? do you have an sample which replicates this?

Hello Shekar. We verify it's using an old version of the DLL by checking its Modified Date. We can consistently replicate this in our project. I'll try to build a sample app to replicate it.

Thanks,
Bernardo
0 Kudos
randy_hoffpauir
Level 2

I am having the exact same issue. InstallShield Limited edition is pulling files from the Temporary ASP.Net folders. The interesting thing is my application is NOT an ASP.Net application. It is a winforms application. I do have an ASP.Net application that shares some common dlls. Why is InstallShield pulling from the Temporary ASP.Net location at all???

Have you been able to find any resolution to this?
0 Kudos
Shekar
Level 7

do you have any sample which shows this... if you can attach that, i will try to look into this.
0 Kudos
randy_hoffpauir
Level 2

Here is a sample project that is looking in the temporary asp.net folders.
0 Kudos
Shekar
Level 7

could you please elaborate if you mean that asp.net dependency are not getting detected or are they missing?
0 Kudos
matthew_bowen
Level 2

I am getting this exact same problem. I have multiple wcf IIS projects that reference the dll. I have also a windows service that is referencing the dll. I am using installshield LE with VS2012 to create an installer for the windows service. Installshield is getting an old version of the referenced dll from my Asp.net cache, Not the bin\release folder. I can confirm this by the date time stamp of the deployed dll.
What should I do? In the short term I am going to try directly referencing the files instead of using the project output.
0 Kudos
chiranjeevi
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hello,

Have you tried adding the libraries directly to your InstallShield project instead of adding from project output group reference?

Thanks,
Chiranjeevi
0 Kudos
cjorgensen
Level 3

I have found that I have had the same problem. It seems that when it detects the dependencies, it will sometimes take them from ASP.NET Temporary folder and not the compiled folder.

I have run into this problem a couple of times now and adding the DLL directly to the install will work, but is not the ideal solution. I posted a thread right before I read this and deleting the Temp Folder solves the problem, at least temporary.

It seems to manifest itself after you change the references in a project to something different.
0 Kudos
cjorgensen
Level 3

This is definitely a problem, but there seems to be no feedback or information from Flexera? It doesn't seem fair to have to pay $250 for an incident to help fix a bug!
0 Kudos
chiranjeevi
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hello,

We brought this issue to the notice of our engineering team and they are currently looking into this issue.

As a workaround you may try adding the known files and their dependencies manually instead of adding from project output group to properly scan the dependencies.

Any inconvenience regretted.

Thanks,
Chiranjeevi
0 Kudos