cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JayeshSoni
Level 4

InstallShield pre-requisite for exe installer

I trying to run a wrap exe installer as a prerequisite which holds an MSI inside.

When I launch my base installer(which is exe), It triggers the prerequisite for installation but doesn't wait for it.

It proceeds with the main installation simultaneously. 

It only happens with warp exe, if I configure the same prerequisite directly with inbuild MSI it waits for installation to complete. 

Is there any additional settings or configuration I can make for exe Installer?

0 Kudos
(7) Replies
varul
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @JayeshSoni 

Hope you have added a condition to your prq file,  if not please add a condition to your prq and then try, 

Please refer KB link on how to configure a custom prq.

https://community.flexera.com/t5/InstallShield-Knowledge-Base/How-to-Create-Custom-Prerequisites-in-Installshield/ta-p/146890

What do you mean by "if I configure the same prerequisite directly with inbuild MSI it waits for installation to complete."?

Instead of exe if you add msi to the prq file it working fine?  If yes, then is that wrap.exe build with installshield?

We are not seeing any issues with setup.exe package added to prq file, The main installer waits untill the prq installation completes.

If possible could you share the prq file with wrap.exe package in a zip format.

0 Kudos

Thanks for the quick reply.

I do have some OS Condition check added

Yes the wrap is build using InstallShield. Which I am calling with /S /v/qn parameters.

What I want is My main installation shouldn't start unless the PRQ is installed successfully. 

attached is the prq.

0 Kudos
varul
Revenera Moderator

Hi @JayeshSoni 

Im not able to see any issue with the prq and when i replace your exe package with my custom exe file, its working as expected, 

Please replace your exe package with attached exe file and try to see you are able to see the same behavior or not. (post installation of prq you can see in control panel with a new package BMSI_Supp_test).

0 Kudos

Please see the attached screenshot.

My point is when I use wrap.exe in PRQ, my main installer does not wait for the PRQ installation to complete.

It just calls the wrap.exe and simultaneously the main installation begins.

For better view added /S /v/qb+ in command under PRQ.

you will see in screenshots what I'm trying to explain.

IamgeStep1: Prompted for PRQ

ImageStep2: PRQ installation was triggered 

ImageStep3: PRQ and main installation going side by side if I want I can even start with main installation without waiting for PRQ to complete.

0 Kudos
varul
Revenera Moderator

Hi @JayeshSoni 

I understand the issue, however im trying to explain, that we are able to reproduce the same issue with your prq and our exe wrapper,

Did you tried my setup.exe instead of your wrap.exe? is it working or you see the same issue with my setup.exe as well,

Please share your wrap.exe file, so that we can check the behavior, else share a reproduction sample in zipped format, 

Test_UpdatePack.zip has only prq file, we need your wrap.exe as well to test. since we are not able reproducible with setup.exe i have shared.
0 Kudos

It is working fine with your setup.exe. If I use "/S /v/qb+" with setup.exe it waits for the prq installation. 

Looks like issue is with the wrap.exe I'm using.

I'll try to share that with you in some time or by EOD.

Mean while can you tell me where can I check in that wrap.exe to resolve this error? as it was build using InstallShield only. 

0 Kudos
varul
Revenera Moderator

Hi @JayeshSoni 

It will be hard to say what causes this issue, we need to check with your wrap.exe ism file and its settings, So please share your wrap.exe along with ism file, You can also create a case with valid active maintenance, 

please navigate to Get Support > Open New Case in the top menu and open a new case to track this issue if you would like to proceed with having this issue addressed? That will allow us to best track this issue in order to best assist you.

0 Kudos