cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dave_krekel
Flexera beginner

Re: InstallShield 2016 Professional Edition version 23 SP1, Error upgrading to SP2

Morning Jenifer,

I thought of an additional question.

I tried un-checking the 4.7.2 as a prerequisite and re-running our install build to create a new setup.exe.

When I did this and ran the setup.exe it still prompted for the 4.7.2 install.

Question-Can I manually delete the 4.7.2 folder?

I wanted to see if our application installed properly without it.

Thanks.

Dave 

0 Kudos
dave_krekel
Flexera beginner

Re: InstallShield 2016 Professional Edition version 23 SP1, Error upgrading to SP2

Jenifer,

• Question: Did you try seeing the differences between both of build environment's project files(.ism) using MsiDiff.exe tool?Did that help?

I got the following error when I used the InstalShield MSI comparison tool (error below) but I hit the continue button. 

There were some minor differences but I had one difference in the prerequisite section. The reference numbers  I did notice a difference. the prerequisite grid reference is different even though I used the exact same file.

See attachment.

• Question:Both of build machines are of same operating systems if yes/no what is that? 

Yes.

Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard
6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

Error:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: path1
at System.IO.Path.Combine(String path1, String path2)
at MsiDiff.MsiDiff.UpdateTitle()
at MsiDiff.MsiDiff.UpdateDataTransforms(Boolean update)
at MsiDiff.MsiDiff.OpenCompareFile()
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8793 (QFE.050727-8700)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
MsiDiff
Assembly Version: 23.0.0.511
Win32 Version: 23.0.0.511
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/InstallShield/2016/System/MsiDiff.exe
InstallShield.UI.Controls
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/InstallShield/2016/System/InstallShield.UI.Controls.DLL
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5491 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8791 (QFE.050727-8700)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5495 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
InstallShield.Interop.Msi
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/InstallShield/2016/System/InstallShield.Interop.Msi.DLL
System.Xml
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8773 (QFE.050727-8700)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard
6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

0 Kudos
dave_krekel
Flexera beginner

Related question. I thought I would remove the the prerequisite, delete the 4.7 folder, recompile, save, reopen installShield and attempt to add the prerequisite back to the install. When I click 4.7.2 I get the following message. 

The download failed; make sure you are running as Administrator, and that your machine is connected to the internet. Would you like to try again?

I have the "Run As Administrator" checked and I can ping yahoo.com from a dos command prompt. Is there some special configuration inside of InstallShield to access the internet? Do I have to use VPN to connect?

Thanks

Dave

0 Kudos
dave_krekel
Flexera beginner

I figured out this error. The file is no longer available from microsoft.
0 Kudos
Flexera Jenifer
Flexera

Hi&nbsp;&nbsp;,
&nbsp;
Thanks for the reply.
Here are my recommendations:

I couldn't see much difference in the data you had shared with respect to MsiDiff.exe,so that shouldn't be the cause i.e data in ism file seems to be OK
PendingFileRenameOperations key can also be cause which you can find under registry key
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager&nbsp;which generally means some reboot pending by which the setup execution might not work as expected.Check this key between both the build machines whether this actually causes an issue
InstallShield looks at PendingFileRenameOperations because this is an EXE being launched and not an MSI. For an MSI package we would only check the return code from msiexec.exe (which in this case appears to be 0).
You can give a try with&nbsp;clone_wait parameter in&nbsp;the main setup as a command line argument . This parameter indicates that the original setup should wait for its child process to complete before exiting.
You can enable logging on installing setup with /v commandline in both the machines to verify(you can compare log files as well) what actually causes this issue and if possible please attach here
Did you give a try with the given pre-requisite file for .Net framework 4.7.2?
&nbsp;
Thanks,
Jenifer
0 Kudos
Highlighted
dave_krekel
Flexera beginner

Status Update,

I found 4 string entries in the MSI differences that related to 4.7.2 framework.

When I added them to our install it allowed us to install 4.7.2 with the "Restart Now" option and automatically start and complete our product install on the 4.7.2 restart.

However if we choose "Restart Later" option 4.7.2  framework install, we have to make several manual install reattempts to finally complete our product install.

I will review your suggestions with the team and let you know what I find out.

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos