cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dave_krekel
Level 4

InstallShield 2016 Professional Edition version 23 SP1, Error upgrading to SP2

InstallShield 2016 Professional Edition version 23 SP1, Error upgrading to SP2

I am having trouble with the installation order with a single prerequisite for the install.

For some reason it works on another  build environment but it does not work on ours even though the installation routines are the same. InstallShield is not waiting for the first install to complete before starting the second.

I tried to upgrade to SP2 to see if it would resolve the problem but I am getting the following error. 

It is trying to activate the product again. I get the following error when I hit the activation button.

Error 51311 - One of more response actions failed.

Any Ideas why it is trying to activate a product that is already activated?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(15) Replies
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

Hi @dave_krekel ,

Answering to your queries:

• For some reason it works on another  build environment but it does not work on ours even though the installation routines are the same. InstallShield is not waiting for the first install to complete before starting the second.-Can you elaborate a bit?
    • What is first installer,basic MSI/installscript MSI/Any pre-requisite?
    • What is second installer?
  • Error 51311 - One of more response actions failed.Can you try below:
    • 1. Close InstallShield
      2. Locate TSConfig.exe on the machine (the default location is: C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield\2016\System)
      3. From a command prompt, run the following command: TSConfig.exe /return
      4. From a command prompt, run the following command: TSConfig.exe /activate
      5. Enter your serial number
    • If this doesn't work please contact InstallShield support,they will be proper candidate to help you with activation issue asap via

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

Thanks Jenifer,

I tried the steps listed below to return and activate the InstallShield but I still get the 51311 error when I attempt to upgrade to 2016 SP2.

On the installation order issue. On the "Application Data" folder, Redistributables we have the following checked (see list below). The only change I did was to as to add 4.7.2 frame work to the folder structure, uncheck 4.6.2 framework and checked the 4.7.2 framework.

The expected result is when installing or application on a clean machine the following would occur:

1) Install Shield would install the 4.7.2 framework (select the restart later option).

2) Once the 4.7.2 frame work install completed, InstallShield would start and complete our application install.

What we are experiencing is our application install is starting before the prompting/install for the 4.7.2 framework has completed.

We were one company but split into two companies a couple of years ago. We have a separate build environments and licenses but we essential have the very similar instances of InstallShield. The other company is running 2016 SP2 and we are running 2016 SP1. One of the reasons I was trying to upgrade to 2016 SP2. I wanted to see if this would correct the install problem.

Hope this helps I have tried to compare the two instances as much a possible.

Is there a configuration setting that I might have disabled when un-checking 4.6.2 that did not reset when I checked 4.7.2?

Is there something in Install Shield beyond the following members that would cause this issue: AIsGlobals.rul
AIsRoutines.h, AIsRoutines.rul, Setup.Rul. These were source members I manually synced from the other companies build machine in my attempt to resolve the issue.

List modules checked.

Visual C++ 10.0 DebugCRT (x86) [Version=10.0, Type=Merged Module, Installed Locally]

Visual C++ 10.0 CRT (x86) [Version=10.0, Type=Merged Module, Installed Locally]

c:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield\2016\Objects\MicrosoftSqlServerSpatialX86.msm [Version=1.0.0.0.0, Type=Merged Module, Installed Locally]

MapSuiteProj4MergeModule [Version=1.0.0.0.0, Type=Merged Module, Installed Locally]

MapSuiteMrStd [Version=8.0.0.0.0, Type=Merged Module, Installed Locally]

MapSuiteGeoTiffMergeModule [Version=1.0.0.0.0, Type=Merged Module, Installed Locally]

Map [Version=1.0.0.0.0, Type=Merged Module, Installed Locally]

MapSuiteEcw [Version=8.0.0.0.0, Type=Merged Module, Installed Locally]

MapSuiteCadMergeModel [Version=1.0.0.0.0, Type=Merged Module, Installed Locally]

Microsoft Data Access Components 2.8 (English) [Version=1.0.0.0.0, Type=Merged Module, Installed Locally]

Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 Full [Version=1.0, Type=InstallShield Prerequisite, Installed Locally]

0 Kudos

Hi @dave_krekel ,

Thanks for the detailed information.

About activation issue i hope you had already contacted Flexera support.In the meantime  go to the below document and refer the topic 'Activating Through a Web Page'

https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/installshield25helplib/pdf/InstallShield2019_ActivationUserGuide.pdf

But one question:

• Are you getting the same error on installing direct IS2016 SP2 activation too?

Below link can help you understand more about pre-requisite's runtime behavior:

https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/installshield19helplib/helplibrary/IHelpSetPrereqRun.htm

You can enable pre-requisite installation progress using behavior tab:

https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/installshield25helplib/helplibrary/UIRefPrereqEditor_Behavior.htm#Ref-PrereqEditor_2877149543_Behavior

by which you will get to know status messages.

Thanks,

Jenifer

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

I was successfully able to work with support to reset my license so I could update my InstallShield 2016 software to SP2. 

I ran a build on Friday after upgrading to SP2 and we still have the problem.

The challenging part of the issue our company has two similar build environments (used to be one BU but split into 2 BU's about 3 years ago). So for the most part our two build machines are exactly the same (except for our development code base.) The other BU upgrade their dotnet framework requirement 4.6.2 to 4.7.2 last year and their install process works fine. 4.7.2 installs first and then our product installs. 

Our customers will usually select the restart later option on both the 4.7.2 install and our product install since they use the down time to perform other maintenance functions.

Attached is a document with the prerequisite setup screens. All the entries between the two build environments are exactly the same.

Is there some other area within install shield I need to check for differences between the to environments that would cause the error?

Also I did experience some challenges in adding 4.7.2 as a prerequisite to our build environment.  But both machines are using the same prerequisite file.

Any Ideas? We are planning to release at the end of Sept/2019 but it will not happen if I cannot find a resolution to this issue.

Thanks.

Dave

0 Kudos

Here is a word Doc that contains the prerequisite setup.

0 Kudos

I am doing an experiment. I removed the 4.7.2 frameworks as a prerequisite. Just to see if our application will install properly.

Do you have any ideas on my situation? I have been essentially been down for about a week now.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Hi @dave_krekel ,

Can you please help us with few details:

• "Our customers will usually select the restart later option on both the 4.7.2 install and our product install since they use the down time to perform other maintenance functions."
  • Question-In the working machine too  with selecting restart later option installation order works fine?
  • In both the build environments,operating systems are same?if not what are OS details of both?
  • Is there some other area within install shield I need to check for differences between the to environments that would cause the error?-
    • Answer:I dont think so,there is any.But you can take both the build environments installShield project files(.ism) and see the difference using MsiDiff.exe too which you will be able to find via shortcut or in System folder of InstallShield(<IS-INSTALLDIR>\<2016>\System.That can give you some clue
  • Any specific reason behind /showrmui /passive /promptrestart commandline?
  • "Also I did experience some challenges in adding 4.7.2 as a prerequisite to our build environment.  But both machines are using the same prerequisite file."
    • Question-what are the challenges you face?
  • I am attaching .Net 4.7.2 full.prq which is available with current InstallShield ,please give a try.

Let me know if that helps,

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

Morning Jenifer,

Here are the answers to your questions.

Your Question-In the working machine too with selecting restart later option installation order works fine?

Answer-The other product install seams to work fine.

Your Question-what are the challenges you face?

Answer-It took a while to where 4.7.2 framework was actually a select-able item on the prerequisite screen. Is that causing a problem?

I unchecked 4.7.2 as a prerequisite, compiled install shield, rebuilt our install and applied it to our test server. I still got the prompt for the 4.7.2 install. 

My Question-Can I manually delete 4.7 directory? 

C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield\2016\SetupPrerequisites\Microsoft.net\4.7\Full  

I wanted to see if rebuilt the install without 4.7 to see if out product would install correctly.

Here is the file that is currently in 4.7/Full directory: NDP472-KB4054530-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe

I manually had to add the 4.7 directory in order to be able to pick 4.7.2 as a prerequisite.

My Question-Is this the normal way to add a prerequisite to install shield?

Thanks 

Dave

0 Kudos

Hi @dave_krekel ,

Answering to your queries:

Question-It took a while to where 4.7.2 framework was actually a select-able item on the prerequisite screen. Is that causing a problem?

• I dont think that might be the cause,general way of getting pre-requisite files would be select the pre-requisite item which will ask for whether to download files (or opt for Download selected item).. which will automatically download files given downloadable link inside pre-requisite.i would suggest you to try with previously attached .prq file which has all those in place by adding which ever additional stuff you need.

I unchecked 4.7.2 as a prerequisite, compiled install shield, rebuilt our install and applied it to our test server. I still got the prompt for the 4.7.2 install. 

My Question-Can I manually delete 4.7 directory? 

• If you uncheck it shouldn't be asked for installation prompt,you can quickly have a look at ISSetupPrerequisites table(via direct-editor view) if the entry is been removed after deleting the DISK1 directory as a clean build
  • Yes you can delete directory if you dont want installation to happen

• Question: Did you try seeing the differences between both of build environment's project files(.ism) using MsiDiff.exe tool?Did that help?
  • Question:Both of build machines are of same operating systems if yes/no what is that?

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

Jenifer,

• Question: Did you try seeing the differences between both of build environment's project files(.ism) using MsiDiff.exe tool?Did that help?

I got the following error when I used the InstalShield MSI comparison tool (error below) but I hit the continue button. 

There were some minor differences but I had one difference in the prerequisite section. The reference numbers  I did notice a difference. the prerequisite grid reference is different even though I used the exact same file.

See attachment.

• Question:Both of build machines are of same operating systems if yes/no what is that? 

Yes.

Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard
6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

Error:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: path1
at System.IO.Path.Combine(String path1, String path2)
at MsiDiff.MsiDiff.UpdateTitle()
at MsiDiff.MsiDiff.UpdateDataTransforms(Boolean update)
at MsiDiff.MsiDiff.OpenCompareFile()
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8793 (QFE.050727-8700)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
MsiDiff
Assembly Version: 23.0.0.511
Win32 Version: 23.0.0.511
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/InstallShield/2016/System/MsiDiff.exe
InstallShield.UI.Controls
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/InstallShield/2016/System/InstallShield.UI.Controls.DLL
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5491 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8791 (QFE.050727-8700)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5495 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
InstallShield.Interop.Msi
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/InstallShield/2016/System/InstallShield.Interop.Msi.DLL
System.Xml
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8773 (QFE.050727-8700)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard
6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

0 Kudos

Related question. I thought I would remove the the prerequisite, delete the 4.7 folder, recompile, save, reopen installShield and attempt to add the prerequisite back to the install. When I click 4.7.2 I get the following message. 

The download failed; make sure you are running as Administrator, and that your machine is connected to the internet. Would you like to try again?

I have the "Run As Administrator" checked and I can ping yahoo.com from a dos command prompt. Is there some special configuration inside of InstallShield to access the internet? Do I have to use VPN to connect?

Thanks

Dave

0 Kudos

I figured out this error. The file is no longer available from microsoft.
0 Kudos

Hi&nbsp;&nbsp;,
&nbsp;
Thanks for the reply.
Here are my recommendations:

I couldn't see much difference in the data you had shared with respect to MsiDiff.exe,so that shouldn't be the cause i.e data in ism file seems to be OK
PendingFileRenameOperations key can also be cause which you can find under registry key
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager&nbsp;which generally means some reboot pending by which the setup execution might not work as expected.Check this key between both the build machines whether this actually causes an issue
InstallShield looks at PendingFileRenameOperations because this is an EXE being launched and not an MSI. For an MSI package we would only check the return code from msiexec.exe (which in this case appears to be 0).
You can give a try with&nbsp;clone_wait parameter in&nbsp;the main setup as a command line argument . This parameter indicates that the original setup should wait for its child process to complete before exiting.
You can enable logging on installing setup with /v commandline in both the machines to verify(you can compare log files as well) what actually causes this issue and if possible please attach here
Did you give a try with the given pre-requisite file for .Net framework 4.7.2?
&nbsp;
Thanks,
Jenifer
0 Kudos

Status Update,

I found 4 string entries in the MSI differences that related to 4.7.2 framework.

When I added them to our install it allowed us to install 4.7.2 with the "Restart Now" option and automatically start and complete our product install on the 4.7.2 restart.

However if we choose "Restart Later" option 4.7.2  framework install, we have to make several manual install reattempts to finally complete our product install.

I will review your suggestions with the team and let you know what I find out.

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos

Morning Jenifer,

I thought of an additional question.

I tried un-checking the 4.7.2 as a prerequisite and re-running our install build to create a new setup.exe.

When I did this and ran the setup.exe it still prompted for the 4.7.2 install.

Question-Can I manually delete the 4.7.2 folder?

I wanted to see if our application installed properly without it.

Thanks.

Dave 

0 Kudos