cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pk_vietech
Level 3

InstallShield 2015 Limited Edition Always Overwrite

Hi all. I am currently using InstallShield 2015 Limited Edition version. I am building two setups, for two different products respectively.

There are several files which are shared for both product installers. Some of the forums mentioned about the Always Overwrite option in file properties under Application Data, but I could not find that option in InstallShield 2015 LE.

How can I set the installer to always overwrite the files regardless of the file versions?

0 Kudos
(4) Replies
shunt
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

The always overwrite feature increases the file version in the MSI table. This causes the windows installer to "think" that the file version is higher than it actually is - this doesn't alter the physical file in anyway.

You could add this functionality to your installer manually by using a MSI editor such as Orca to access and edit the MSI tables in your installer:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/msi/orca-exe

You will need to locate the File table, and then increase the Version column of the relevant file to a value of 65535.0.0.0

Thanks for your comment @shunt . It works like a charm.

What if I would like to provide end customer only an exe file (SingleImage build option), is it possible to manually amend the msi file and merge all files (.ini, .cab, .inf, .msi) to produce the one Setup (.exe) file only?

0 Kudos
shunt
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

I think this would be a limitation of using the Limited Edition version. Orca won't allow you to edit a setup.exe, and you can't wrap an MSI back into a setup once its made using Limited Edition. If this is an essential business requirement then Installshield Express would allow you to set "Always Overwrite" in the project allowing you to then build the setup.exe Additionally Installshield Professional and Premier will also allow the always overwrite and allow you to access the MSI tables from a built setup.exe as well.
0 Kudos

Okay noted. Appreciate your help @shunt  😄

0 Kudos