cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevesmith54
Level 2

InstallShield 2009 for Visual Studio 2008

I am not sure of the version number of this software, however this is what it is called. To reiterate some information I posted on another thread, I inherited a VB.Net Windows application and the laptop on which it was developed from a previous developer. InstallShield 2009, InstallShield 2009 Express, InstallShield 2009 Express for Visual Studio 2008, and Install Shield for Visual Studio 2008 all appear in the Start Menu, so I assume they are all installed on the laptop. I would, of course, prefer to get the latest version of InstallShield, however I am not going to hold my breath until my employer agrees to buy it.

I purchased a book, BulletProof Installs A Developer's Guide to Install Programs for Windows. It is well written, however I am sure the author was using a later version of InstallShield. What I have on the laptop computer seems to work quite differently from the examples shown in the book. I do not see any evidence, for example, of a Project Wizard icon, which is what the author uses to build an install project in an example in the book.

Does anyone know of any books, developer's guides, anything that could give me guidance on how to use InstallShield 2009 for Visual Studio 2008? I am a fairly new .Net developer (just over three years), having made the transition from mainframe. The previous developer, who was a senior .Net developer attempted to and failed to create an install project that met the requirements using the versions of InstallShield I mentioned earlier, or some combination thereof. If I could really get a good handle on how to use IntallShield, limited of course to the versions I have available to me, I am hoping I can succeed. Any help on this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
KathyMorey
Level 10

Try this link: http://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com

It will take you to the company's HelpNet page, which will list documentation by product and year. InstallShield for Visual Studio and InstallShield Express, as I understand it, are subsets of the full product, so you might be most successful using InstallShield 2009 if you can. (Of course, that learning curve is also higher.)

If your install requirements include creating a Windows Installer (MSI) package, I would also recommend looking at the documentation for Windows Installer online to get an understanding of how it works. InstallShield is a very good tool for creating those packages, but if you don't follow the best practice guidelines from Microsoft, you'll likely cause yourself issues down the line.

Good luck. And this forum is a good one when you get the point where you have specific questions on what you're doing.
0 Kudos