cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kyra_Fontaine
Level 2

Install to both 64 bit and 32 bit systems.

I am working with a program that handles and uses both 32 bit and 64 bit based on what system it is running on. I am trying to get it to install to the Program Files directory, not the Program Files (x86) directory on a 64 bit system and then just to the regular Program Files on a 32 bit system. So far Installshield forces it to the (x86) even if it is hard coded. I need away around this and 2 installers one for 32 bit and 64 bit is not wanted.

Thanks for any help
Kyra
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Ajay_Ladsaria
Level 7

I understand that having two different installers for 32-bit and 64-bit installations is not what you want. However, unfortunately, it is required for Windows Installer installations.

There is a global MSI file setting called Template Summary which indicates whether the package is a 32-bit or 64-bit package. This setting has to be 64-bit in order for the install to install to 64-bit locations and to run 64-bit script custom actions.

Please look at the following supporting documentation:
Windows Installer on 64-bit Operating Systems
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa372855(VS.85).aspx
0 Kudos
Kyra_Fontaine
Level 2

Thanks for the quick response it was what I feared. I would hoped that Installshield would allow it to be set at run time since several of the programs I have worked with over the past year are compile at run time and can be 32 bit or 64 bit based on the os they are on, which means there is no difference in the install other then a installshield flag.

kyra fontaine
0 Kudos
Lurean
Level 8

most applications I have seen with this actually get around it by creating a small application that is launched in place of the installer. The application determines if it is a 32 or 64 bit OS and then runs the appropriate installer behind the scenes.
0 Kudos
ZygoCorp
Level 6

We set our default TARGETDIR directory to . When the 32 bit installer is run, it correctly installs to Program Files. When the 64 bit installer is run, it correctly installs to Program Files.
0 Kudos