cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GeorgeMichael
Level 2

Install to PersonalFolder

Hi,
I am just starting to learn about installshield so bear with me. In my installation project I am creating a folder in the 'My Documents' folder. This folder serves as the default user's design folder for my application and on installation I copy some example designs to this folder.

My question is; how does Installshield decide on how to remove folders/files when the user uninstalls my application? If the user has saved some of his personal designs in this folder I definitely do not want to remove this on an uninstall.

It seems to me that the uninstall process will skip removal of files and folders if they have been modified or contains items that were not put there on installation.

I am a little iffy on this one since I am scared I will delete user created files.

- GeorgeMichael
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Cygnusx1
Level 8

Windows Installer will only remove what was installed, unless a custom action to remove the folder or additional files is created/utilized.
0 Kudos
GeorgeMichael
Level 2

Ok. Thanks for your reply.

- GeorgeMichael
0 Kudos
Rouslan
Level 4

if you don't want to remove "User specific files" files during uninstall just mark component as "Permanent" (see component attributes).
0 Kudos