cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
haggag87
Level 2

Install the msi package only if a another one was installed

Hi,

I have 2 msi packages 1 called the core package in which i want the second package to check before installation if the core package is installed, if yes then the installation occurs normally, if not then the second package wont be installed telling me that you need to install the core package first before installing,

just for clarification when installing the core package some files goes to a specific location so i can check the existence of these files in their location when installing the second package if the files exists then install the second package and if not then the second package wont install and say that you need to install the core package first before installing and exits,

Can any one help me please as this is the first time to use install shield,

thanks alot
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Nick_Umanski
Level 7

The way I would do this is to set up an Upgrade item for the core package (within the second package), with the Detect Only set to Yes and a Detect Property set to something like COREPACKAGEFOUND

Then set up a new Error CA set to fire on "Not COREPACKAGEFOUND", with the error message saying that you need to install the core package first.

If you really want to do by looking for the files you know should be there. Use the SystemSearch tab to look for a specific file, again setting the result to COREPACKAGEFOUND and then using the same Error CA

Personally, I wouldn't use the second approach, because you may remove the file you are searching for in a later upgrade and then will have to amend the search. However, you should never need to change the UpgradeCode of the core package which the first method relies on.
0 Kudos