cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contanet
Level 2

Install shield 2018 express Always Overwrite Files Regardless of Version, Date, and Time Stamp

Jump to solution

We need when updating to overwrite some existing files but it does not do it. We have only found the option available for the original files, not for the updates.

In the Existing article it mentions that:

"InstallShield X and Later: The InstallShield X Express and later versions contain an enhancement that will allow you to workaround this Windows Installer limitation. To use this product enhancement select the Always Overwrite option contained on the File Properties view."

It has three links Q105988 Q108003 Q105223 but when I try to access them, I get asked for a login and password which is not the same as this forum, it also does not allow to use the credentials used in the license portal. I cannot access the information and when searching this forum, I cannot find more information on how to make install shield 2018 always overwrite a file as we update the software. Could I please have the information these articles contain or an explanation on how to do this with the said version, we cannot find the "To use this product enhancement select the Always Overwrite option contained on the File Properties view.".

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Solution
shunt
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Quick Patch Projects are great for delivering simple small updates, but they are limited in their functionality.
Unfortunatley they don't have access to the "always overwrite" setting.

Installshield Express does not have any other offerings to create patches which leaves 2 options:
1. Make sure that the files you want to include in the patch have a higher file version - this would ensure they are installed over the older files.
2. Create a full upgrade rather than a patch

Our Installshield Premier Edition has functionality to create a fully modifiable Minor Upgrade - and then using its "Patch Design" feature we can compare the new Minor upgrade against the previous version to create a patch.
The advantage of this method is that we have full access to all the project settings whilst creating the Minor Upgrade providing a greater level of freedom in what can be achieved.

View solution in original post

(3) Replies
shunt
Revenera Moderator

Go to the files view - select your file > Right Click > Select Properties:

Capture1.JPG

 

From the properties box that appears select the "Advanced" Tab - check the "Always Overwrite" and then select "Apply"

Capture2.JPG

Hope this helps. 

0 Kudos

Thank you for your reply, unfortunately this option is not available for new files in the Quickpatch project configuration which is what we need. I'll show you what we have as options. Even though we have "Install always", in some machines it won't overwrite the file.PatchScrnsht.png

If we right click on any of these files the menu we get has the options "Delete, Patch existing file, Insert new file", none of these are what we need.

MicrosoftTeams-image.png

0 Kudos
shunt
Revenera Moderator

Quick Patch Projects are great for delivering simple small updates, but they are limited in their functionality.
Unfortunatley they don't have access to the "always overwrite" setting.

Installshield Express does not have any other offerings to create patches which leaves 2 options:
1. Make sure that the files you want to include in the patch have a higher file version - this would ensure they are installed over the older files.
2. Create a full upgrade rather than a patch

Our Installshield Premier Edition has functionality to create a fully modifiable Minor Upgrade - and then using its "Patch Design" feature we can compare the new Minor upgrade against the previous version to create a patch.
The advantage of this method is that we have full access to all the project settings whilst creating the Minor Upgrade providing a greater level of freedom in what can be achieved.