cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nicolasb
Level 5

Install prerequisite at initialization

I have a custom action to validate my serial number through a DLL. This DLL require MS C++ runtime merge module. These runtime are included in my project, but associated to a feature. When I validate the serial, the feature are not installed yet, so, the runtime are not installed. How may I install the MS C++ runtime library before doing anything?
Thanks,
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

Here is an article that I wrote describing how to deploy .NET framework as a prereq. The concept is the same you'll just have to follow the process againt the correct C++ package from Microsoft.

http://blog.deploymentengineering.com/2006_11_01_archive.html
0 Kudos
Nicolasb
Level 5

Thanks a lot for this answer. It seem to be exactly what I want. I'll give it a try and keep you updated here.
0 Kudos
Nicolasb
Level 5

Hi,

I tried to build a setup prerequisite with the vcredist package, but I had a hard time finding the install conditions. While googling the subject, I found an easier solution. Since my serial validation dll is very simple, it only require the msvcr80.dll file and its manifest. So, I included these two file along my serial validation dll in the SUPPORTDIR. That way, I don't need to have the whole package installed before the setup. The files are copied there and deleted after install.

Thanks !
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

You can probably also consider statically linking the dependency also. And if it's a really simple check, maybe just port the C++ over to InstallScript.
0 Kudos