cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jtoomey
Level 3

Install driver as optional feature

I have a separate driver installer that I want to optionally install. I know that I can create it as a prerequisite and set the "optional" checkbox, as shown in the first 3 pics below. However, I want the feature to appear as an optional checkbox, as shown in the 4th pic, not as a "Yes/No" choice. The problem is, from what I can tell, if you set something as an optional feature, it's just going to copy the installer file to their C drive, not run the installer. Is there a way to run the optional feature?  The same way it does for a prerequisite?

Driver1.png

Driver2.png

Driver3.png

Driver4.png

    

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Azmaeus
Level 6

Hi @jtoomey ,

Definitely! I use this in my current project to optionally install a local SQL database backend, or to not if they already have SQL somewhere they'd like to connect to.

To do what you're asking, you need to create a new Feature for your prerequisite. You don't even need to add a component to it or anything, just create the feature.

PrerequisiteFeature.png

If you're not familiar with Install Level you may need to look into that. I have my other features that I want always installed to < 100 and this one I set to 100. Once you have the feature set-up, go back to the Redistributables screen, select your prerequisite, and underneath the list is a "Conditional Installation" list. By default prerequisites have the box ticked next to "Install before feature selection." Simply tick the box next to the feature you created above.

PrerequisiteAsAFeature.png

This will cause your prerequisite to be installed, if it's selected, during the Execute sequence. It's been a while so there might be more to it, but hopefully this covers what you need.

0 Kudos

Hi @Azmaeus , thanks for the info. I don't see the Redistributables section under Application Data. I think it's because my project is "Installscript" rather than "Basic MSI" or "InstallScript MSI". What kind of project is yours?

0 Kudos

I apologize, mine is Basic MSI.

0 Kudos
jtoomey
Level 3

No worries, I appreciate you helping me. My boss is okay with it the original way so I don't need to find a way to make it a checkbox.

0 Kudos