cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
avtuvy
Level 3

Install Windows service with installshield

I developed a Windows server application which communicates with an SQL server, I have no problem installing the service using the windows installer which is created as part of the project but I am not sure how to do that with InstallShield. Is there a tutorial which shows how to do that?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
ITI_Randy
Level 6

Add your compiled .exe for the service as a component in you installation. Go to the "Advanced Settings" on that component and set up the necessary values for "Control NT Services" and "Install NT Services"

For details, look in the InstallShield Help for "Advanced Settings" and find the subsection on "Install NT Services" and "Control NT Services".
0 Kudos
avtuvy
Level 3

Thanks
So I do not need to add the .msi file that is created just the app executable?
0 Kudos
ITI_Randy
Level 6

Correct.

Just add the executable as a component and set the advanced properties to set up the service. You will need to add an item under Install NT Services and another item under Control NT Services. Just follow the instructions in the help. One thing to remember, if your .exe is "MyService.exe", then the item you will create under "Install NT Services" needs to be called "MyService", i.e., whatever is the name of your .exe, but without the ".exe".
0 Kudos
mayurbirari
Level 5

You can also do it with the help of the component wizard. You can get to it by right clicking the Components in the Cmponents view.
0 Kudos