cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wallywojo
Level 4

ISXMLCosting in one project always giving return value 3

As the title indicates I am getting this message and I have isolated it to being project specific. The exact contents in the XML File Changes view works in a separate project I created to help isolate the problem so I know it is not the data. Is there a way the IS custom actions or something similar can become corrupted in an isolated project like this as I have checked all the ISXML related tables in direct editor and all were empty before this most recent test of just a new xml file that is vanilla.

In the project I currently have a new xml file (not imported) called sample.xml with a root element of product and a child element called option which has one attribute called test being set to 1. I really cannot make it more simple and it still gives a return value 3 on ISXMLCosting.

Can anyone assist with this error or explain what you have done to get around this issue if you have encountered it in the past?

Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Dear Sir,

As a stab in the dark, if you right-click the XML file's icon and select Test XML File Changes, does it work? Is ISXMLCFG.dll in the Binary table? If you generate a verbose log file, is there any more information? A successful run looks something like this (with the MSI (s) stuff removed):
[code][25:00:00:562]: Doing action: ISXmlCosting
Action 25:00:00: ISXmlCosting.
Action start 25:00:00: ISXmlCosting.
[25:00:00:609]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSID88.tmp, Entrypoint: ISXmlCosting
[25:00:00:609]: Generating random cookie.
[25:00:00:625]: Created Custom Action Server with PID 3852 (0xF0C).
[25:00:00:765]: Running as a service.
[25:00:00:781]: Hello, I'm your 32bit Impersonated custom action server.
Action 25:00:00: Progress Custom Action. Costing XML files...
[25:00:00:812]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding ISXmlCosting property. Its value is 'C:\...\Temp\XMLD89.tmp'.
[etc.]
[25:00:00:812]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding ISXmlFinalize property. Its value is 'C:\...\Temp\XMLD89.tmp'.
Action ended 25:00:00: ISXmlCosting. Return value 1.[/code]
0 Kudos
wallywojo
Level 4

Thanks Robert, that lead me in the right direction. I never realized that functionality to test the XML changes.

The problem ended up being that there are properties those custom actions use in the property table and if they are not present it caused this behavior. As soon as I manually added those properties to the property table all was well. The test XML changes reported this as missing, but the log file did not during an install.

Thanks again
0 Kudos