cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
darkplanet310
Level 2

ISDEV: fatal error 0

I have a 3.4GB computer game that I would like to compress into a single executable. While installshield is compressing cab file # 14 I receive a “ISDEV: fatal error 0.” I have tried the steps recommended in article Q105833 and I don't see an answer on the forums regarding this error it's very vague. I have tried deleting my temporary files in my computer. Has anyone run into this issue before? How did you resolve it? I can provide more information if necessary.

Thank you.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Sometimes there will be more useful information in a verbose build log than is shown in the IDE. You can generate the verbose log by building with IsCmdBld.exe /v (in addition to other parameters you'll need, like /p and possibly /r and /a). I'd suggest redirecting it to a log file so you can examine it at leisure.
0 Kudos
darkplanet310
Level 2

I ran IsCmdBld.exe with /v and it resulted in the following error message:

1627: Error saving the changes to <.msi>

Could this be related to the size of the project?

using your method I was able to see that all cab files are built successfully.
0 Kudos
sjmorton
Level 2

I got the same error while trying to build a single-exe installer containing a large number of files: 18,000 files, 9.6GB. It gave the exact same error:

1627: Error saving the changes to <.msi>

One of the CAB files left behind and the MSI were both 2,097,000 KB and change, leading me to wonder if I am hitting a file size limit. Will try generating a CAB file per component and see if that helps the situation.

Any other thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
Simon Morton
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

The size definitely sounds like a problem for sjmorton's setup, but I don't have enough information to judge if it's also the problem for darkplanet310. Windows Installer .msi files can only grow to about 2GB. After that they give unexplained errors during an attempt to save them. If you need to package up such a large install, choose a format that does not place the CABs inside the MSI. Individual CAB files, as well as CAB collections, also have various limits, and I think 2 GB per CAB file may well have been one of them.
0 Kudos
cbarlow
Level 7

I just got this error too. My project was building fine, and then when I read the white paper on creating patches, I created a separate component for each .exe and .dll in the project as it suggested. When I went to build the project again, the build failed with this error: ISDEV : fatal error 0:

This isn't an enormous project. The .ism file is only 300 KB. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
cbarlow
Level 7

I still have the same problem, both in a project I modified and one I created from scratch. Does anyone out there have a clue what might be going here?
0 Kudos
cbarlow
Level 7

I should mention when I generate the verbose log, I don't get the error about writing .msi, the description I get is

ISDEV : fatal error 0:
Class not registered

Does anyone know what this means?
0 Kudos
StalePhish
Level 2

I was running into this ISDEV: fatal error 0 today too. I used the -v switch and it produced 1627: Error modifying record.

I tracked it down to one of the properties which was 35 characters long that we were setting with the -z flag. I think there may be a maximum of 33 or so characters for a property, so cutting down the name helped. For example, the property was V_ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVXYZ_HELLOOOO and I was setting it as ISCmBld.exe -z V_ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVXYZ_HELLOOOO=1.0.0 which was failing. When I changed it to V_ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVXYZ_HELLO, it worked fine.
0 Kudos