cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Superfreak3
Level 11

ISCmdBld.exe Questions...

Hi all,

I'm going to start using ISCmdBld Standalone Build on different build servers and I have some questions regarding how some things work. This, of course, will be installed on a machine without the full UI licensed app.

First, with regards to Tools-Options settings, how would they be set/adhered to on a system solely using ISCmdBld?

Next are the Merge Modules (paths part of Tools-Options) and Prerequisites (usually, or previously for us, set in the Prerequisites view)... Is it necessary to pass the associated parameters to ISCmdBld so they are found during build?

Here's a little background as to why I ask that question. On our current build server, where the full UI app is installed and used, we have a third party scripting tool which uses ISCmdBld. The module and prerequisite path parameters are NOT passed and the build seems fine. I guess it comes down to the question, when using ISCmdBld and with the above mentioned items set in the .ism, will the standalone build .exe simply find them or must the parameters be passed on a system with solely ISCmdBld installed?

I guess I could mock up a test system and test the script each way and see what happens.

I'm just trying to get a handle on the inner workings of ISCmdBld before I make the leap.

I'm guessing too that when changes are needed to the .ism, the template must be copied or retrieved from source control on a system with the full UI InstallShield installed. That wouldn't be a huge issue I guess, but in our situation I would think we would have to build our patches on a separate machine. I know there is a patch package or config parameter that can be passed, but patching too is a murky area.

Thanks for any info/help!!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

Superfreak3 wrote:
Hi all,

I'm going to start using ISCmdBld Standalone Build on different build servers and I have some questions regarding how some things work. This, of course, will be installed on a machine without the full UI licensed app.

First, with regards to Tools-Options settings, how would they be set/adhered to on a system solely using ISCmdBld?

Next are the Merge Modules (paths part of Tools-Options) and Prerequisites (usually, or previously for us, set in the Prerequisites view)... Is it necessary to pass the associated parameters to ISCmdBld so they are found during build?

Here's a little background as to why I ask that question. On our current build server, where the full UI app is installed and used, we have a third party scripting tool which uses ISCmdBld. The module and prerequisite path parameters are NOT passed and the build seems fine. I guess it comes down to the question, when using ISCmdBld and with the above mentioned items set in the .ism, will the standalone build .exe simply find them or must the parameters be passed on a system with solely ISCmdBld installed?

I guess I could mock up a test system and test the script each way and see what happens.

I'm just trying to get a handle on the inner workings of ISCmdBld before I make the leap.

I'm guessing too that when changes are needed to the .ism, the template must be copied or retrieved from source control on a system with the full UI InstallShield installed. That wouldn't be a huge issue I guess, but in our situation I would think we would have to build our patches on a separate machine. I know there is a patch package or config parameter that can be passed, but patching too is a murky area.

Thanks for any info/help!!

Hi,

Regarding setting values of Tools->Options in IsCmdBuild.exe where installshield standalone build is installed,all the required values you can set via IsCmdBld.exe parameters.
Refer the link :https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/installshield24helplib/helplibrary/ISCmdBldParam.htm where you can set mergemodules path,pre-requisite search path etc.
-All the settings in Tools->Options are application-level settings not project settings,hence it isn't ism specific.
-So once you set in machine,it gets applied for all types of projects that makes use of selected property.

Hope that helps,
Thanks,
Jenifer

0 Kudos
Superfreak3
Level 11

Jenifer wrote:
Hi,

Regarding setting values of Tools->Options in IsCmdBuild.exe where installshield standalone build is installed,all the required values you can set via IsCmdBld.exe parameters.
Refer the link :https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/installshield24helplib/helplibrary/ISCmdBldParam.htm where you can set mergemodules path,pre-requisite search path etc.
-All the settings in Tools->Options are application-level settings not project settings,hence it isn't ism specific.
-So once you set in machine,it gets applied for all types of projects that makes use of selected property.

Hope that helps,
Thanks,
Jenifer

What about an option such as Clean up unused directories on the directory tab? I don't see a parameter for that. Maybe I don't understand what the UI option does. Does that prevent unused directories from being included in the .msi or does it clean it out of the directory altogether so it will no longer be seen if using the UI, which of course would, in turn, removed from the .msi.
0 Kudos