cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WadeTrenholm
Level 2

IS 2016 project migrated to IS 2018 SP1 results in a CD Image that won't install

IS 2016 project migrated to IS 2018 SP1 results in a CD Image that won't install.
I've had a project built and working without issue in Installshield 2016.
Recently, we upgraded to InstallShield 2018 and then to Installshield 2018 SP1 and I had the opportunity yesterday to rebuild this project.
The migration of the project worked without issue.
I made my routine updates and rebuilt the project and created a build for release, which worked without issue.
I transferred the CD Image to media and and sent it off for testing - It won't run. The CD loads fine, the installation starts, but just halts and disappears after about 2 seconds...no error codes.
This occurred on 3 different workstations. I created a fresh CD to test again - same results on more workstations.
I uploaded the CD_image to our network and the testers were able to download the image to their workstations and install via that method - ie the installer ran fine when not from a CD.
So.....
I ran Installshield 2016 again and rebuilt the package and created a new build and tested the CD Image - it works fine when built from Installshield 2016.

I'll need some assistance with regard to location of MSI logs on the individual workstations where the IS 2018 CD Image fails to see if there may be an entry that assists with diagnosing the issue. There are no entries in the workstation event log that assist with diagnosing the issue.

What files might be of assistance in your testing?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

Hi WadeTrenholm,

In InstallShield navigate to Installation Information ->General Information select Create MSI Logs to "yes",you can search msi .log files on %temp% location with "MSI" prefix .

"I transferred the CD Image to media and and sent it off for testing - It won't run. The CD loads fine, the installation starts, but just halts and disappears after about 2 seconds...no error codes."

What do you mean by transferring CD image to media?

Is that something using release wizard creating CD-ROM image(please elaborate)?

I hope it is of Basic MSI project,can you please confirm?

Thanks,
Jenifer
0 Kudos
WadeTrenholm
Level 2

By transferring image, I mean I burn the DiskImage built by Installshield to a physical CD (using Windows 10 native burn software). When I run that CD setup.exe, it just halts without warning or error. If I run the same setup.exe from the network share where it is written, it works fine.

My installer is an Installscript MSI Project.

I've set the Create MSI logs to Yes, rebuilt my install package and have tested.
There is no MSI .log being created.

Next step, copy all content from CD to C:\temp and run setup.exe from c:\temp
This runs fine and completes fine. MSI log file created fine.

Any insight you may be able to provide will be beneficial since we are currently unable to migrate any of our installers to 2018 due to this issue.
I can upload my installer if you can tell me how. This interface is not very intuitive.

Thank you,
0 Kudos
Stefan_Krueger
Level 9

Are there any file names that don't comply with the 8.3 format and/or with blanks in your CD image? (I don't see why a new version of InstallShield would cause this, though)
Stefan Krueger
InstallSite.org
0 Kudos