cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michaelj
Level 3

IS 2011 LE Build Hangs

When I try to build my project, the process seems to hang on the step "Extracting COM data from XX component(s)..." Everything is still responsive, but it never concludes. I left it to run overnight last night and it's still going with no change in build progress.

My machine has an Intel Core 2 Duo T9700 @ 2.53 GHz and 4 GB of DDR3 RAM running Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64. I'm using Visual Studio 2010 Professional.

The install I'm trying to build has about 107 MB of files and is a very straightforward install. It has no Custom Actions. All the install will do is move files, write registry entries, and append to the Path Environment variable.

P.S. I've tried it more than once with the same result.

P.P.S. The progress bar moves initially for "Extracting COM data from XX component(s)", but freezes about 85% of way to complete. Upon analysis of the Wait Chain, it appears that devenv.exe (Visual Studio) is waiting for IsRegSpy.exe (assuming that's InstallShield) which is waiting for svchost.exe.

P.P.P.S. Two of IsRegSpy.exe's threads are waiting on a third thread of IsRegSpy.exe which is waiting on svchost.exe which is waiting on IsRegSpy.exe with no thread listed. Unless I just don't understand the data I'm looking at, which is all too possible, it looks like the fines folks at Flexera wrote a multi-threaded app designed to lock itself in an infinite wait loop. Hurray!!

P.P.P.P.S. After getting to the point that the build locked, I killed the specific instance of svchost.exe that was tied to IsRegSpy.exe. When I did that, the build ended and produced error and warning messages that actually gave me a better clue as to what is going on. It turns out that about 4 of the DLLs that are being copied won't register. I honestly don't think they need to be registered to work, so is there a way I can skip that part of the build altogether? That way at least I can determine whether or not the DLLs really do need to be registered.

Flexera take note: in the next version of IS LE, introduce a timeout at this part of the process so I can get error messages without having to resort to killing processes that destabalize my OS.
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Madusree
Level 7

Hi,

Could you try the following settings by navigating to Installshield LE Tab(Menu Bar)->Options->.NET and set Default .NET Scan at Build File setting as "None"

For more Information browse in Help Library for Topic "COM and .Net Settings Tab"

Let me know if this resolves the Issue.

Thanks,
Madusree
0 Kudos
michaelj
Level 3

Unfortunately, the build still proceeds the same way it did before changing. I even tried removing "exe" and "dll" from the Portable Executable File Extensions list on the File Extensions tab.

"This option controls how the '.NET Scan At Build" property is set when new Portable Executable (PE) files are added to your project."

If I'm reading that correctly, then I basically just need to remove and re-add all the files considered PE files for the change in that setting to take effect.

I will update on that soon.
0 Kudos
michaelj
Level 3

After removing and re-adding all the files, I was able to build the project. What I find a little odd is that it still extracted COM data from some of the files. I'm under the impression that the drop-down does nothing. I'm thinking that there were still some files with some of the extensions that I left in the File Extensions tab that got COM data extracted. Fortunately, they weren't the ones giving me trouble. Perhaps someone could bring to light what the deal is with that.

Thanks Madusree.
0 Kudos
Madusree
Level 7

Hello,

I am glad to hear that your issue is resolved.

However if any files are left ,they will be COM-Extracted and hence you have to apply the settings and then add the files

Thanks,
Madusree
0 Kudos
michaelj
Level 3

Well, after removing EXE and DLL from the File Extensions tab, I removed everything and re-added everything, so I'm pretty sure there must have been some OCXs or something in there. I don't really know.

Thanks again.
0 Kudos