$INSTALLER_LAUNCH_DIR$ will cast two continuous spaces into a single space

InstallAnywhere Version:
InstallAnywhere 2012 SP1
InstallAnywhere 2012 Enterprise
Build 4390

Build machine info:
Redhat Linux 2.6.18-53.el5 i686

Issue:
If we placed the Linux with VM Installer "install.bin" into a folder whose name contains 2 continuous spaces. (E.g. /work/two[1st space][2nd space]spaces[1st space][2nd space]test/install.bin)

During the install, the value we read from installanywhere's default variable $INSTALLER_LAUNCH_DIR$ will cast the 2 continuous spaces into a single space. (E.g. /work/two[Only 1 space left]spaces[Only 1 space left]test/install.bin)

This leads to every action using $INSTALLER_LAUNCH_DIR$ failed.

This can always been reproduced.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
DLee65
Level 13

I have not worked with linux from an installation perspective, but is there any chance that you can escape the two space? What happens if you try that?
E.g. /work/two\[1st space]\[2nd space]spaces\[1st space]\[2nd space]test/install.bin)
0 Kudos
jgao_infor
Level 3

DLee65 wrote:
I have not worked with linux from an installation perspective, but is there any chance that you can escape the two space? What happens if you try that?
E.g. /work/two\[1st space]\[2nd space]spaces\[1st space]\[2nd space]test/install.bin)

Thanks for your reply, I know what you mean.

Normally, if we try to execute any command that contains space under Linux, we can escape the space using '\'.

However, the DIR I got during the installation is from the InstallAnywhere's defualt variable: $INSTALLER_LAUNCH_DIR$.

This variable is initialized by InstallAnywhere itself, I cannot interfere it and escape the DIR.

Its value was the wrong one from the very beginning.

The only solution is hopping the user not placing the installer into a folder with 2 or more continuous spaces.
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

Ohhh, I missed that part. That sounds very bad and suspect this might be a bug. Have you tried to create a case with InstallShield?
0 Kudos
jgao_infor
Level 3

DLee65 wrote:
Ohhh, I missed that part. That sounds very bad and suspect this might be a bug. Have you tried to create a case with InstallShield?

Thanks for your reply.

Sadly, no, it seems that we only have the license for InstallAnywhere 2012.

Is InstallShield a quit different product that provide the same feature as InstallAnywhere?
0 Kudos