cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kaneohe
Level 6

INSTALLDIR changes?

We've got files that need to go into [INSTALLDIR]Bin and [INSTALLDIR]Tools. However, the files destined for Tools are actually ending up in [INSTALLDIR]Bin\Tools. All of our other files are ending up in the correct location, just not the ones that belong in [INSTALLDIR]Tools. How can this happen?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
kaneohe
Level 6

When I look at the compiled MSI's "Files and Folders" view, everything looks in order, as well. I've added some more components to the project and now there's also [INSTALLDIR]Help. The resulting install looks like:

[INSTALLDIR]Bin\Help\Tools

Each successive directory is being nested inside the previous one instead of beside it. Very baffling behavior!
0 Kudos
kaneohe
Level 6

Also, all the shortcut references are following the files so the shortcuts to the Tools files actually work but the files are in the wrong directory.
0 Kudos
kaneohe
Level 6

Does no one know why files destined for directories beneath INSTALLDIR would nest inside each other instead of next to each other?
0 Kudos
reachyouvenkat7
Level 4

Hi,

Have you created the same folder structure in your INSTALLDIR (how you want to deploy in target system.like INSTALLDIR\TOOLS). Please find the attached screenshot. Also verify the destination path for the component

Regards,
VenkateswarRao P
0 Kudos
kaneohe
Level 6

I have been testing the installation on a clean machine, not for an upgrade. INSTALLDIR does not exist at the beginning of the installation process and the installer must create it.

The Destination Path I have set for the components is [INSTALLDIR]Tools (see attached image).
0 Kudos
kaneohe
Level 6

To test a theory of whether this was a project issue or a global issue I create a brand new InstallScript MSI project. I assigned basic properties INSTALLDIR and a couple other settings. I have finally tracked down the setting that is causing my directories to become nested. If the "InstallScript User Interface Type" is set to "New Style" the directories become nested. Changing it to "Traditional Style" fixes the nesting problem and the directories become siblings, as expected.

Anyone familiar with the internals of these two have any further information about why this setting would cause siblings directories to become nested?
0 Kudos