cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Superfreak3
Level 11

IIS Site Port Number Question(s)...

Hi everyone,

I have an installation that creates a website. Under the site are two applications and a virtual directory. If I install using port 81 everything seems to go OK. If I use 80, it is my understanding that the website settings are ignored and the apps, etc are installed under the site currently on port 80.

After using 80, things look pretty gnarly. When I expand the sites, under the Default Website (80) I see the directories. Under the new site, which has a stopped indicator on the icon, it appears that is where the applications are installed. When I attempt to login, I do get to the login screen but errors after login info entered. Am I doing something wrong.

Also in the documentation it mentions Port 0, which will install everything to the first encountered/numbered site and ignore the installs website settings. I haven't tried this yet, but I see the same thing happening.

So, I hope to be able to get things working if the site by port number exists.

If not, I think I will have to query in the UI as to whether the user wants to create a new site with different Port number or install the web apps and virtual directories under an existing site. The problem with this is I have to code the query of available sites and display in a dialog. Then the apps have to be created in code as there is no out of the box site choice functionality in IS 2015 or earlier. This is how we handled our previous web install, but I was hoping to get away from maintaining all that code.

Is there anyone out there who has experience with IIS installs using the same port number? Does it actually work? Can anyone supply a screenshot of the site/app hierarchy in IIS of this scenario?

Any help appreciated!!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Superfreak3
Level 11

I'm taking a closer look at the TCP Port matrix in the documentation. I think I can leverage that if it works out the way I think its supposed. More testing and information to come.

I think I can query the websites and grab their port. Then I can display those for choice of destination site and set the port based on that. If I then set the site # to 0, it should install the 'stuff' to the selected site/port. If they set to a different port and the site number is 0, the new site should be created.

I'm a little confused as to the purpose of the third example, non-zero port and site number and if that could, would or should even apply to me.
0 Kudos